Muting a Strat

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/27/2011 8:15 pm
I've never been able to mute my lower strings (b, e) to my satisfaction on my Strat. I would like the same control I get on a TOM bridge and the knobs out of the way. It's partially the volume knob being a bit in the way (moving it is not an option) and partially the lower bridge height.

One way I can compensate is by keeping the guitar neck back which pushes the lower body out more comfortably for muting on the right side. (...And I don`t mean using strength to pull it, mind you, just keeping the angle.) But this presents it`s own awkwardness.

Maybe there is some position I haven't thought to try. Any suggestions?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
01/28/2011 1:46 am
Ya I hate that volume knob. I end up playing my Jackson when I get too frustrated with it. Haven't figured out a work-around though.
# 2
JonChorba
JonChorba
02/06/2011 3:14 pm
When you are picking, are your middle, ring and pinky fingers extended, like as if your right hand was making an "OK" gesture? If so, try bringing those fingers in and have them "rest" on the higher strings.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
02/06/2011 6:48 pm
Originally Posted by: JonChorbaWhen you are picking, are your middle, ring and pinky fingers extended, like as if your right hand was making an "OK" gesture? If so, try bringing those fingers in and have them "rest" on the higher strings.

Depends what kind of "muting" you are talking about. I assumed this thread was talking about a palm muted sound, not mute as in a dead string that makes no sound.
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/07/2011 1:48 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Depends what kind of "muting" you are talking about. I assumed this thread was talking about a palm muted sound, not mute as in a dead string that makes no sound.

Yeah, partial muting. I can full mute ok, but with a TOM bridge, for example, I can sort of "roll-on" the "degree of mute". It's the low bridge more than anything causing a problem. It's not giving me a position with enough wrist flexion (for me).

Oh, well. The Strats been a little neglected since I got the PRS anyway. There's a guitar with everything in the right place for the right hand. ( Except the pup selector; that could have been more handy. )

Thanks for the input, guys. It was an evolution getting to Not Hate the volume knob in the first place, so I just need to go a little further for this last bit.
# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/07/2011 1:54 pm
Hey, Razbo.
Originally Posted by: RazboIt's the low bridge more than anything causing a problem. It's not giving me a position with enough wrist flexion (for me).

I've always found this to be a more comfortable design. Obviously, most of it comes down to what you are used to & familiar with.

FWIW, when I need to do what you are describing I curl my pinky around the volume knob. I rest it on the knob or around the knob on the pickguard.

I've always thought it was perfectly placed because it was easy to & manipulate while muting on the bridge.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
poisonivy24
poisonivy24
03/08/2011 3:12 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelHey, Razbo.

I've always found this to be a more comfortable design. Obviously, most of it comes down to what you are used to & familiar with.

FWIW, when I need to do what you are describing I curl my pinky around the volume knob. I rest it on the knob or around the knob on the pickguard.

I've always thought it was perfectly placed because it was easy to & manipulate while muting on the bridge.

Thanks for the tips, I am wondering also if this is possible since you gave us tips I will try doing this.
# 7
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/08/2011 2:01 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelHey, Razbo.

(Unread Post Flags: dammit!)

Hey, thanks Christopher. I had tentatively tried that, but bumped the volume a lot, so I stopped. But I will give that a try again next time (I'm waiting for Strat parts). I used to really lament the whole knob layout, but it grew on me. And the separate tone control for the bridge pup. Yeah. Strats have grown on me. :)

Thanks for the tip!
# 8
Justin.Ferrari
Justin.Ferrari
03/16/2011 8:06 pm
if you put your pinky finger over the volume knob you get a better sense of where you are on the guitar. It also gives you the ability to mute the lower strings :)
# 9
Massimo Canonaco
Massimo Canonaco
04/10/2011 9:39 am
As said above you can rest the pinky and ring fingers on the higher strings. This also helps to mute the higher strings you don't use.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.