EMG DG-20's in Carvin Bolt

Ronin81
Full Access
Ronin81
Full Access
01/27/2011 3:18 am
Hello all, first post here.

Long story short I'm picking the guitar back up again for the first time in a long time... Right now I'm mainly on a Lyle acoustic a friend let me borrow, but I am moving to an old Carvin Bolt kit guitar I built about 10 years ago.

I want do to some work on it, and install new pickups. I'm considering the EMG DG-20's, but being as I haven't played in almost a decade, much less been inside my guitar for mechanics, I'm wondering if there are any foreseeable problems as far as spacing, installation, etc.

I know the DG's have an extra knob and lose a switch, but it appears most everything would fit ok (I did read somewhere I may have to drill an extra hole around the neck, but can't verify).

Can anyone provide any input into this matter?
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/27/2011 2:19 pm
I just watched this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQEyuu4vbZA

Sweet pickups. They appear to fit in a standard single coil slot. Active, obviously, with the knobs becoming frequency boosts rather than rolling off frequencies. Can't make any comment on what it would take to wire them in the Carvin model you have, but there is lots of room in a Strat. If they are similar in design you should be fine.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
02/02/2011 8:48 pm
Hi Ronin81,

Great question!

For gear questions like this, try asking our guitar tech Steve White: Ask A Guitar Tech

Steve might have an answer about the pickup wiring.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.