Start with a nylon or steel string?

Jorgee
Jorgee
01/13/2011 7:39 am
Some people say that your first guitar must be a nylon string due to the fact that a steel string hurts your fingers too much and will discourage a newbie from pushing through the pain threshold and give it up all together.
Is this good advice?
Thanx all
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/13/2011 12:49 pm
Originally Posted by: JorgeeSome people say that your first guitar must be a nylon string due to the fact that a steel string hurts your fingers too much and will discourage a newbie from pushing through the pain threshold and give it up all together.
Is this good advice?
Thanx all

No, it's BS. Choose the guitar you intend to be playing. You will only retard your development otherwise.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
JonChorba
JonChorba
01/13/2011 8:45 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboNo, it's BS. Choose the guitar you intend to be playing. You will only retard your development otherwise.

+1. If you're more into The Beatles than you are Classical music, then go with steel string and vice-versa.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
01/13/2011 11:54 pm
Depends on the age too. If it's a little kid I can see that being more of a valid argument. If it's a really young kid I'd probably start them on a nylon string for several reasons. The one the you mentioned about the pain, the fact that it is an acoustic guitar, so you don't need an amp or electricity to play, which also gives you portability and the ability to practice anywhere.

You also would have to replace strings less often. A beginner usually doesn't worry about or even know that when they should be changing strigns. Nylon strings can last a hell of a long time, while steel strings can get dirty and get a rough "rusty" texture, which leads to even more discomfort (and money for strings).

If it's an older kid, young adult, or an actual adult I'd say it doesn't matter. You can afford to "worry" about all the other stuff at that point. And if it's too much then they don't deserve to be playing guitar :p
# 4
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/14/2011 7:20 am
I'm with Razbo and John on this one... go with the kind that is suited to the style of music you want to play. If you're going to play strictly classical, get a nylon stringed classical guitar. If you're more into just a "bread & butter" general purpose acoustic, go with a steel string guitar. Don't worry about sore fingers, you'll develop callouses pretty quickly. But just so you know, when Bryan Adams "got his first real six string" he didn't really "play it until his fingers bled".. I think he just got a bad blister... ;)
# 5
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/14/2011 3:07 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardBut just so you know, when Bryan Adams "got his first real six string" he didn't really "play it until his fingers bled".. I think he just got a bad blister... ;)

Yeah, but did he really buy it at the 5 & Dime? That's what I want to know.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 6
Daktari
Full Access
Daktari
Full Access
03/18/2011 3:46 am
No silly....it was a pawn shop.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.