View post (amp for around 600$ out the door?)

View thread

3rd String
3rd String
02/27/2011 8:01 pm
I've been playing a long time and have used a number of amplifiers. It seems to me like they all vary a bit in what you can get out of them for the particular sound you want. I play some of everything as far as music styles and have found that my old Acoustic G60-212 and my Crate VTX-200S give me pretty much whatever I want to achieve sound-wise. You'll have to look hard for an Acoustic, though - they went out of business a number of years ago (or were bought out by somebody; I forget which!).

I found any amplifier I ever owned by going to the music store and trying them out individually. Then you can get the "flavor" for what each one is all about and discover the merits - or drawbacks - of each. If I had any other recommendation, it would be this: Any guitar player is only as good as his Axe, so get a REALLY Good One! You will be surprised how different that the various guitars sound when played through the same amplifier, too.

Anyway, get your Guitar(s) of Choice (Spare No Expense - Trust Me on this!) and go visit a big music store where they carry many different makes & models of amps. Get one of the store pros to help you out and I feel certain that you will come up with the right combination for your needs.

By the way, my little harem of guitars consists of a Vantage VS-600, a Fender Strat with a maple neck (all single-coil pickups), a Les Paul-style guitar that I built myself and a brand-new Fernandes Revolver Pro 81. I got the Acoustic amp and the VS-600 guitar as a matched set back in 1981. They rocked together then and they still rock together now! Believe me, I am more than happy! :-)