View post (amp for around 600$ out the door?)

View thread

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/10/2011 1:36 pm
Originally Posted by: Graffx
My little amp plug was superglued on when I bought it from the pawn shop. it is not coming apart.
So I need to buy a new amp. I have about 600$ wanting to get something nice.
I am new so do not know alot but my goal is to have a good clean and distorted sound.

Question: Are you getting an amp just because something is glued and stuck on your old one? Or because you want to upgrade? If it's glued & stuck, please provide some details; I'm certain we can save you $600 :)

Otherwise, if it's an upgrade, you will be hard pressed to get both good clean and Ozzy-style overdrive for $600.

First the main question is what do you want to do with it? Practice in a bedroom? With a band in a garaqe? Play gigs? These will determine how much power you will want. Let's assume you want the option of gigging later on, so you want about 30+ Tube watts.

Keep in mind that , if you get a bazillion-watt amp, you really need to be driving it at a bazillian decibels to really get the juice from it. Big is not always better.

Notwithstanding the great deals around such as Rick has mentioned; you also need to define what is "good" to you? I've got a Fender DeVille which has a most awesome clean (I'm a fan of the "Fender clean"). But it has overdrive suited more for certain styles than others).

I have a Jet City JCA50, which has fricken awesome overdrive, but the clean channel is a little dry.

I payed $600 for each of these amps (oddly enough lol). My point being that, in that price range, you will be hard pressed to find an amp that does both jobs well (this is obviously subjective). You may need to invest in a pedal or two to beef up which ever channel is lacking.

I would recommend for you a Jet City JCA20H. It's a 20 Watt single channel amp that I have evaluated and found to be quite versatile. Plenty of power for jamming with drums and full band. Runs for about $400 for the head, and I think the 2x12 cab is about $200. I really liked this little amp.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.