View post (Metallica!)

View thread

JJ90
JJ90
01/26/2011 10:15 pm
Metallica is my favorite band and I looked up to them as my guitar heroes and everything I wanted to play guitar.

But now I've became an intermediate/early advanced guitar player I must say that from a musicians perspective Metallica gets a bit boring technically. Kirks solo's sound great, but are mostly only pentatonic, which is fine by any means but a bit boring after a while. Also James' rythm playing is incredible, fastest downpicker in the world ( if you don't know what I'm talking about search for Fight Fire With Fire live in Mexico 2009 ).
But that also, even if it is fast as hell, is just nothing more then downstrokes all the way.

As a guitar player my interest got more to blues and, no offense, Megadeth. Dave Mustaine is also a great musician ( and I don't wanna hear any stupid Megadeth vs Metallica comments on that one, the rivalry between the bandmembers already ended. They peformed together on Sonisphere with the Big 4.... was just too awesome ). Also Chris Broderick and Marty Friedman are for me just examples of anything I hope to achieve in my guitar playing.

But just considering the music, I still like Metallica A LOT. Still my favorite band around. Even though Lars' drumming kinda sucks nowadays hehe. Death Magnetic for me was a fresh revive of the band. Glad Trujillo's on board, most awesome bassplayer and would say almost as good as Cliff :-)