View post (The Line 6 Spider III 75, The Jackson DK2, and The Line 6 FBV Longboard)

View thread

shaniab
shaniab
07/31/2011 5:33 am
Originally Posted by: rfwright78How does the Spider IV 75 compare with a Peavey VYPYR? I currently have a Spider III 30 watt w/FBV MKII express pedal. It just has the factory presets for the four channels that I can tweak to my specifications (through various eq, fx, drive etc.). I don't particulary care for the sounds, especially the insane, and it is somewhat difficult to get a clean country sound. My local store has them both, but I had never seen a vypyr until earlier this week. I have seen mixed reviews for the vypyr's reliability, but I am interested in the 60w vypyr. How easy is it to dial in tones, presets with the 75 spider? Also, it appears that I will need to get a shortboard to "unlock" many of the spiders features....at least ones I would want to use. This is also true for the vypyr....in order to open up the 400 banks, you must get a sanpera II pedal, otherwise your stuck with 12 presets (which is probably more than enough). Thanks for your responses!

I haven't played one yet. But what I have seen and heard, Peavey would be the best. I bought the Spider, and then someone told me about the peavey your talking about. I checked it out, and I ought to say this amp is definatly better than the spider. Now, spider is killer on its own, I've been able to get it dialed in to were it can replicate some peavey tones perfectly and get extrordinary cleans. BUT, the vypyr is definatly in a league of its own. The spider I have, can replicate 12 amps from various big name suppliers. (Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Fender, ect.) My jaw literaly dropped when I heard how many amps the Vypyr can replicate, 24!

Over course this is based off of what I like. The peavey you are talking about has a richer, warmer tone with great cleans and killer heavy tones and effects, which is what I strive for. If you like a more treble like sound that still keeps the midds and highs decent, and also has a good bass tone to get that good "chug" tone out of power chords (chug meaning Metallica heavy sounds) ...go for the Spider 75. I'd pick the Peavey though :D