Call me closed minded but...

some_guy
some_guy
10/25/2000 3:50 am
The first Vai album I bought was the Ultra Zone and I got the idea from magazines that he was an awesome shred guitarist, but the only "fast" song was jibboom (or whatever its called). And a bunch had singing and stuff and I liked it at first even though it was really out there. Then I got alien love secrets months later and it was completely different and all instrumental. I haven't listened to the Ultra Zone since.
# 1
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/25/2000 7:23 pm
Oh boy, where do I start?

1) It's great they're taking new directions - not weird. It's a natural thing for a good musician to do. They're probably a little bored with playing the same **** over and over. I am sometimes. Personally, I love his new album. Not just because it's by Vai, but because I actually love each song for what it is.

2) If all you want is fast stuff, stick with Alien Love Secrets and Surfing with the alien. There's more to 'shred' (I hate that term) and general guitar playing than speed....how many times has this been brought up around the world? I not trying to make it sound like you're totally criticizing him, but it sounds like it.

3)Don't go by what others say in magazines or on the net or whatever. Listen to it without any expectations or pre-judgements and determine what it is for yourself.

Sorry if I got a little rude, but I'm very defensive when it comes to Vai and Satch. I think everyone around here knows that. They are way ahead of their time.

[This message has been edited by ekstasis16 (edited 10-25-2000).]
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 2
some_guy
some_guy
10/25/2000 10:31 pm
I use to listen to the Ultra Zone all the time and i really liked it a lot. Im just saying that since tastes I acquire go in cycles, right now I like instrumental ("shred" lucky charms makes me laugh hehehe)
# 3
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
10/25/2000 11:54 pm
One thing I'd like to add to the Ultra Zone. On song number one, part of his lead he uses and envelope or some type of effect I'm not farmiliar with. But every time I listen to it, it just sends chills up my spine. If anybody knows what it is please tell me. I love that whole album and especially the first song. BTW - The seventh song is coming out pretty soon so watch out for it all you Vai fanatics.

------------------
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.