Suggestions on buying new guitar plzz

icy_wind500
icy_wind500
11/15/2010 9:03 pm
Hi everyone,I've being playing guitar for a year now, started off with a nylon string classical guitar. I think its time to get a good electric guitar.
I wanted to get a Fender stratocaster for christmas.
The USA standard feels really good on hands and the neck is really smooth. But the USA standard is double the price of the Mexican one >< !
And I've read from other places that it tends to go out of tune a lot when using the tremolo. Is the tremolo better in the USA version ?

I also took a look at the Ibanez SA220 which is much cheaper and has a nice look. But I dont like the sound of it too much because I'm not into metal, more on the side of blues and jazz.

Should I pick a guitar by looks or by sound >< should I pick the expensive or the cheaper one !!

So many choices !!!

Thanks !!
KT.
# 1
dougjt
dougjt
11/15/2010 11:50 pm
Oh man I just went thru this

Should I pick a guitar by looks or by sound >< should I pick the expensive or the cheaper one !! So many choices !!!

I picked based on both, but I Finally decided what I wanted : neck Thru ,solid mahogany, fixed bridge and a normal headstock. I bought mine knowing the pickups are kinda crappy cause the feel was more important I can swap pups later..

The only thing I suggest is beat the street and play as many guitars as you can you will find the one for you. Read and ask questions about the differences such as bridge types, the wood, necks, fret boards ect.
and as far as money it seems the more expensive one's are always better.

Good luck it took me about 4 weeks

Oh ya I found about 5 others I wouldn't mind having neither
# 2
icy_wind500
icy_wind500
11/16/2010 2:24 am
Thanks dougjt
The only problem is....the sales person are usually not very friendly when u try out a lot of them without buying.....

I really like the Ibanez guitars for the sleek body and smooth thin necks
but the pickups are all sounding too hot for my taste.

I would love to get the fender strat but the tremolo worries me a bit.

hm....maybe I'll try some more in another store
# 3
dougjt
dougjt
11/16/2010 3:07 pm
The only problem is....the sales person are usually not very friendly when u try out a lot of them without buying.....

I wouldn't worry about that it's their job......It is easy to feel pressured to buy but don't. Just sneak out when your done.
And If their not Ok with you trying their stuff go somewhere else.

I really like the Ibanez guitars for the sleek body and smooth thin necks but the pickups are all sounding too hot for my taste.

they can be swapped
# 4
icy_wind500
icy_wind500
11/16/2010 10:14 pm
I did consider swapping the pick ups out of a ibanez sa220
It will still cost less then an American strat but my friend said playing jazz and country on ibanez is an insult to this metal machine....
# 5
dougjt
dougjt
11/17/2010 1:57 am
my friend said playing jazz and country on ibanez is an insult to this metal machine....

I've been learning a little classical style stuff on mine and it sounds pretty good.
Plus they make a whole lineup of jazz type guitars.like these
# 6
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
12/21/2022 11:40 am

Depends if your a heart or a head buyer. Head will do all the stuff recommended above. Neck, frets, pick up configuration , bang for buck. But if your a heart and there's a guitar pulling you in it will still pull you in even after you've coughed up for  the head guitar knowing it was a better match. 
Dave

# 7
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/21/2022 2:53 pm

I have sent an email to support Dave to have the post before yours removed. Any post that contains a link cannot be good news for anyone on this forum.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 8
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/22/2022 12:18 am

Amen!  Especially when it's in response to a twelve year old post.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 9
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
12/22/2022 12:32 pm
#9 Originally Posted by: john of MT

Amen!  Especially when it's in response to a twelve year old post.

Sorry

Hadn't  noticed the date.

these pop up now and again. 
I just look for first posts in any category.

I wonder  what he bought

Dave

edited
# 10
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/22/2022 2:36 pm

Sorry for the confusion, ddiddler.  I wasn't talking about you but awkwardly trying to point out that links in new posts to extremely old threads are almost guaranteed spam.

I'm with you... I review new posts too.  A lot of Forum nubies make their first post on old threads, we just have to distinguish members from spammers.

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 11
Michael Mars
Michael Mars
04/18/2023 10:00 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: icy_wind500
Hi everyone,I've being playing guitar for a year now, started off with a nylon string classical guitar. I think its time to get a good electric guitar.
I wanted to get a Fender stratocaster for christmas.
The USA standard feels really good on hands and the neck is really smooth. But the USA standard is double the price of the Mexican one >< !
And I've read from other places that it tends to go out of tune a lot when using the tremolo. Is the tremolo better in the USA version ?

I also took a look at the Ibanez SA220 which is much cheaper and has a nice look. But I dont like the sound of it too much because I'm not into metal, more on the side of blues and jazz.

Should I pick a guitar by looks or by sound >< should I pick the expensive or the cheaper one !!

So many choices !!!

Thanks !!
KT.

I've always liked Gibson Les Pauls. But to each his own. 

My Slash is my favorite at the moment:

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.