Advise on gutair

dougjt
dougjt
10/27/2010 4:36 am
OK, so I've been playing a ibanez gio for the 2.5 years I've been playing. I want a better guitar I've spend hours researching and listening to demo's. I went to guitar center and spent about 4 hours playing everything they had. I really like the Ibanez xpt 700. I like the way it feels, the way it sounds, the looks, it's comfortable, balanced ect. But the price is a bit steep right now. So I have looked into the 300 (seems the same but different pickups) and jackson have got the warrior that's a bit cheaper.

Does anyone have any of these guitars? that can help with a little info.

Maybe buy the 300 upgrade pickups later?
Is the Jackson as good or better?
Or should I just wait?

I have got these 2 on top of my list

Xiphos
Warrior

Thank's for any input

Doug
# 1
shayman1
shayman1
10/27/2010 1:16 pm
I take it you're into folk music Doug :)

Well I play an SG Standard and LOVE it. I swear every Gibson I've tried has it's own soul and personality! Sometimes mine sounds awesome..sometimes he decides he doesn't want to know, and sounds and plays like a pig!!

As for your choices I can only go by what my 'rock god' friend plays and it's always a Jackson for him!!
# 2
dougjt
dougjt
10/27/2010 2:39 pm
LOL, yes love the folk music.

I heard nothing but good things about the warriors. Their is a better model than the one I looked at that is a couple hundred more, but I haven't had a chance to play it.

Hmm, maybe I get 2nd job and buy both.
# 3
kjpro
kjpro
10/29/2010 9:37 pm
Check these out. http://www.rondomusic.com/product2968.html
there are lots of great reviews on them. I plan on getting one myself.
Hope this helps.
# 4
dougjt
dougjt
10/30/2010 1:43 pm
Never heard of them. Can't find anyone who carry's them our I would check em out. I'm pretty stuck on the Xiphos (DiMarzioĀ® D Activator pickups, plus the fact it feels right) but I'm going to go play around with a WRXT Warrior today.

I'm also relocating to the basement so I can let er rip. lol my poor neighbors
# 5
dougjt
dougjt
11/05/2010 7:03 pm
I brought this thread from the grave to try to get as much feedback as possible. I have spent the past couple of weeks playing as many guitars as possible. I have played jackson, Schecter, dean, fender, Bc Rich, ibanez, and a few I have never heard of.

Here's were I'm at in my price range under 700

Fender: Just doesn't fit my style Out

Jackson: Played various models compared to the other stuff Out

Schector diamond: sounds great neck sucks Out

Dean: Played the razor backs Out

Dean: something that looked like a really old guy would play some blugrass on with some funky pearl looking inlays. Amazing, felt great, sound was incredible ,felt comfortable. Wouldn't get caught dead playing this in public Out lol

Dean: Deceiver Fg flat black very nice this is a guitar for me, nice neck,amazing sound, feels like a quality American made product.
Price 1000 to much right now some day Out

Ibanez: many rg's liked them all obviously the more spendy one's were better I would definitely by an rg in my price range.

Ibanez Xiphois: Love this metal machine, Nice neck, sounds good,looks good,simple 1 volume 1 tone and 1 toggle. Heard a few negative things about them but overall reviews are good.

The criticisms of these machines is only MY opinion of course:
And respecting honest criticism one of the stores I frequently visit does not carry ibanez and the owner is an anti Ibanez guy. Say's the quality is poor, tones suck, they come out of the box falling apart. etc. etc. But he also a salesman and I told him I was looking to buy a Xiphious.

Any opinions on this?

Pheww I had to much coffee
# 6
Joe Pinnavaia
Joe Pinnavaia
11/06/2010 3:02 am
If you're really digging the Ibanez save up and get it. If that type of instrument speaks to you then do it. I played several SG's before I found the one that "spoke" to me. Same thing with a Schecter that I got. I later swapped out the pups - after much research - and it's now an even better instrument. But start with something that's you - you've played a lot of different instruments and if you come back to the same one the answer is clear. Best of luck to you on your guitar quest.

Joe Pinnavaia
www.guitarlessonsbuffalony.com
www.digital-nations.com/artists/testtuberhino
# 7
dougjt
dougjt
11/06/2010 3:33 am
I've been justifying and convincing my self to spend 700 on a guitar. When I could buy something cheaper that would work but would not bring me nearly as much joy.

But one more thing they make a fixed bridge for 400 ish. Very nice rusty colored none of that setup stuff for different tuning I've been reading about. But no playing around with dive bombs and such. Well that's another thread.

And yes I know for the most part I'm rambling to myself
# 8
dougjt
dougjt
11/14/2010 2:50 am
After playing at least 50 different guitars getting stuck and then uncertainty s on a couple of models I followed joe's advice. She "spoke" to me. I kept playing this one and leaving wishing I had bought it (about 5 times) cause I got stuck on the xiphious .

Ibanez RGT42DXFX almost new
* Wizard II Neck (neck-thru)
* 5-piece Maple and Walnut Neck
* Mahogany Body
* 24 Jumbo frets
* Bound Rosewood Fingerboard
* Fixed bridge
* IBZ INF1 (Humbucker) Neck Pickup
* IBZ INF2 (Humbucker) Bridge Pickup
* Deluxe Sharktooth Inlay

Solid as a rock, feels great, love the neck and it is now mine!
# 9
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/14/2010 3:28 am
Congrats, hope you like it.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 10
dougjt
dougjt
11/14/2010 10:38 am
I have about 8 hours on it already, so far I love it. Needs some minor tweaking. And I'll replace the stock pups with some DiMarzio's after I recoup some funds.
# 11
samata
samata
11/14/2010 6:51 pm
Originally Posted by: dougjt
Solid as a rock, feels great, love the neck and it is now mine!

I think I said the same thing about my last girlfriend!

(okay....sorry. I couldn't resist :) Nice guitar! )
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 12
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/15/2010 2:03 pm
Originally Posted by: dougjtI kept playing this one and leaving wishing I had bought it (about 5 times) cause I got stuck on the xiphious .

Sounds like you got The One. That happened with my Strat; it was like the stars aligned. Kismet or something. Then it happened with my Soltero, then the Jet City, then the DeVille, then the... ...Hmmm maybe it's not so mystical in my case. It's just GAS. :D

Congrats on the guitar!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 13
dougjt
dougjt
11/15/2010 3:08 pm
I plan on getting the xiphious, maybe by next summer. I'm really glad I picked this one up though. It's more suitable as a main guitar This particular one they don't make anymore and are getting harder to find. Plus it's my first "real" guitar. The difference between playing this one and my other 2 cheapo's is well, let's just say I don't think I'll play my other ones again..
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.