12 Bar Blues - Acoustic

Bonafan1
Bonafan1
10/21/2010 6:53 pm
I am in the 12 bar blues section and only have an acoustic guitar. My question pertains to this lesson, but also some of the future ones coming up. I like alot of acoustic "stuff" but probably favor more blues and rock type music. When I am done with GF 2 I will probably go to the Rock section, and maybe blues. Can you play the 12 bar blues on acoustic and have it still be "right" (same for the rock and blues lessons coming up?)? My guess is "yes" perhaps with some limitations, but don't want to get myself down a wrong path. Maybe I just need to go buy an electric....
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
10/24/2010 4:16 am
Hi Keith,

Most of the material in the rock & blues courses applies to both electric and acoustic so you should be fine. Of course sound related lessons on tone, effects, etc. would only apply to electric. Some string bending lessons will be easier on an electric since acoustic strings are harder to bend but the majority of the information will be valuable to you as an acoustic player.
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
10/24/2010 5:06 am
Some of the rock lessons may sound a bit off on an acoustic but 12 bar blues sounds smoking on an acoustic. Robert Johnson, one of the first Delta blues players played an acoustic with a slide, it is a unique sound for sure. I just went back through the blues courses to brush up and did them all on an acoustic.
God said to Abraham, ā€œKill me a sonā€
Abe says, ā€œMan, you must be puttinā€™ me onā€
God say, ā€œNo.ā€ Abe say, ā€œWhat?ā€
God say, ā€œYou can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me cominā€™ you better runā€
Well Abe says, ā€œWhere do you want this killinā€™ done?ā€
God says, ā€œOut on Highway 61ā€
# 3
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
10/24/2010 1:27 pm
Like Stewart said, blues with accoustic sounds very cool. That's how it all began right ?
Sure some licks and bends will be hard to do in the blues section but you just have to tweak it a bit.
Like if it says to do a full step bend and you cant do it with your accoustic, do a slide or hammer on instead of bending. Whatever you feel sounds cool :)

Also, have you ever heard Stevie Ray Vaughan play his classic tunes on accoustic ? Smokin hot ! Sure he had very strong fingers but still. Here's 2 links of SRV adapting 2 of his "electric guitar" songs to accoustic. Damn he could play !

SRV unplugged - Rude Mood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqiVN0vpZsQ

SRV unplugged - Pride and Joy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZkLVinwR4E&feature=fvw
# 4
Bonafan1
Bonafan1
10/24/2010 2:31 pm
Thanks guys...very helpful...love music but don't know it as a musician at all....like blues and rock, and like electric stuff, but for me, nothing like acoustic. Knew some blues guys did acoustic like SRV and Clapton...just nice to confirm I can move on to these sections with my acoustic. Thanks again, really appreciated.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.