View post (favorite guitarist?)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
02/11/2001 7:46 am
Despite not being a huge Nirvana fan, I find it hard to understnd why they are being flamed so much. The problem is it seems is that everyone is judging Kurt Cobain as a guitarist, and therefore not very good. For great rock musicians, or any musicians, the music comes before the instruments. Hendrix was a great guitarist not because he was particularly skilled, but that he made his guitar speak for his soul. Cobain used his fairly limited skill to create music that has tapped into a generation of people. The Edge plays guitar in a minimal way that is there to create music, rather than display his talent. People should obviously strive to be the best they can be at their instruments (or anything in life), but at the same time they should learn to use what they have. Think of all the great music that has been created by people with not much technical ability, ie the Beatles. I think that maybe some people have their priorities wrong, they want to play guitar, and then they want to play some music. IMO, great music comes from people who have a desire to play music, with whatever instrument they can best use, and whatever most effectively gets their point across. I love the guitar, but I love music first, the guitar is for music, not the other way round.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".