View post (favorite guitarist?)

View thread

LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
10/02/2000 3:26 am
quote:
Originally posted by Zeppelin:

That is where you get it wrong:
stairway to heaven's solo is a perfect harmony altough it is a 3 chords song, while in grunge (and mainly in metal and funk metal) the main idea is just to turn the distortion on and make noise... pearl jam, nirvana, limp bizkit , korn - i know all this are different styles but to me it's the same - bunch of guitarists without even good technique and knowledge in theory turns on the distortion and plays something....[/B]

You're just stating your opinion man. Imho, you just perfectly described page, he doesn't have good technique or good knowledge of theory and he plays with distortion. I like his music, but don't get on some high horse because you think the music you like is better than the music she likes. Nobody goes around calling people idiots for liking red instead of blue. Btw, what do you mean the stairway solo is a perfect harmony? First of all, the solo is a melody, not harmony. As far as I can remember there is no harmony during the solo except the chords being outlined by the bass, but I haven't listened to the song in awhile. Second of all, do you mean that you like it? That it is pretty? These may both be true, but they are not concrete as you seem to imply.
Wouldn't you be annoyed if I started telling you that you should listen to beethoven instead of your kiddie rock music? You'd say that I just don't understand, that I can't appreciate your music even though its not as complex. Well that's exactly the position you're putting guitar chick in. While I may not like the styles you put down (metal, funk metal, grunge) I don't say that they are just about distortion and noise, I live and let live, and everybody is happier that way.