View post (favorite guitarist?)

View thread

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
07/20/2000 9:25 pm
quote:
When I posted that I thought this was a "Best guitarist" (incorrectly assuming that people would list who they thought were the best guitarists as their favorites. Sorry.

There's some more of that attitude I was referring to. Just because a guitarist is the best, doesn't mean he is everyone's favourite, nor vice versa. Or else we would all love yngwie, wouldn't we?

quote:
Cobain wasn't the innovator you're claiming him to be other "Seattle bands" came out of the cracks before Nirvana (Soundgarden and AIC come to mind) with the same (general) attitude towards hair metal.
Also, I don't hear any soul in his playing. His "language" in which he "spoke" to the masses of teens who followed MTV was mostly mumbling (honestly, how many words in Smells Like Teen Spirit can you uderstand without a lyric sheet, and if you have one, how much sense does it make?).

Yup, just cause his lyrics don't make sense to you means that his guitar and music work suck. Also, "I am the Walrus" is a crappy song, according to that same standard. And how about "Radio Free Europe", or any other REM song, for that matter? Cobain's "mumbling" also translates to mean he has no soul, doesn't it?

And who ever declared you the supreme judge of quantifying "soul" in music? Just because you don't hear it, does that mean that none of the 5 billion other humans on earth will?

And Barry - The Clash, Husker Du, The Pixies, REM - they made totally different music from what nirvana made. Cobain may have drawn on them for inspiration, but his genre of music was definitely grunge, not punk or pop.

If cobain or nirvana was not as talented as everyone says they are, how could a three-piece band cause such an effect on modern music that they influence music to this day? no "untalented" bands that i can think of can make this claim.

Would you call a group like sonic youth "untalented" just because their guitar work was unskilled and unorthodox? remember too that they were also one of the first indie bands to "sell out" to a major label.

try to keep the big picture in mind and learn a little bit more about something before you form such a radical and unfounded opinion on something. you could turn out to be wrong.

------------------
ok, i'm not really the eggman

[This message has been edited by iamthe_eggman (edited 07-20-2000).]
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]