Lessons on scales

Bonafan1
Bonafan1
09/14/2010 5:08 pm
I am on Fundamentals 2 and working on the C Major and A and C minor scales. My question is how important is it to learn/memorize all the different patterns to each scale? I am trying to be patient and really focus on the basics (my goals are really to play some fairly basis guitar, but don't want limits either), but feel like I could spend a LONG time just on Fundamentals if I really commitment to all the scale patterns, chord changes etc?
# 1
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
09/14/2010 5:21 pm
you don't need to memorize the scales in order to progress further, however it's a very handy knowledge for further development.

if you understand how they work, you can figure them out when you need them and in time you will learn to memorize them.. I believe there's no point in focusing on something you won't be using at this very moment, however you do need to realize you'll be needing this knowledge somewhere along the road, so constant practice is wise
= good music is good drinking =
# 2
Bluepick1956
Bluepick1956
09/14/2010 5:35 pm
Remember that all scale "PATTERNS" are movable. In other words, you can use the same pattern in almost any key. So perfecting one pattern covers all the keys when you move it up and down the neck.
# 3
Bonafan1
Bonafan1
09/14/2010 5:47 pm
Thanks Guys....now I can move on...with continued scale practice of course :)
# 4
Joe Pinnavaia
Joe Pinnavaia
09/26/2010 2:54 am
Yes modes and scales are all movable and once you get the patterns under your hands it will be a lot easier to transpose. Also don't hold yourself back from improvising with the scales even though you may not have them mastered. I believe that you should start using them right away as it will re-enforce the learning process. Plus you'll be developing creativity as well. I have a down loadable lesson that starts from the ground up with video, audio, pdf and backing tracks as well. If you're interested you can check it out here.

http://joepinnavaia.weebly.com/lessons.html

There's also a short excerpt from the lesson on my youtube channel at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rhinoguitar?feature=mhum

Also you can get a free eBook at my site:

http://www.guitarlessonsbuffalony.com

All the best!
Joe Pinnavaia
Test Tube Rhino
# 5
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
09/26/2010 9:24 am
Hey gang,
Saw the post, and figured I'd give you a trick of the trade, lol. I don't usually play scales, but I play out of scales. I'm referring to leads, and other things too. It would be good to learn the scales, just make it part of your practice. The positions are movable, and in more ways than one too. I think you would even progress quicker if you learn the scales. Think of it as a roadmap to the fretboard, you'll always know exactly where you are.

Try to devote at least 25% of your daily practice to learning them, and memorizing them. Saying the notes as you play them will help you memorize the fretboard too. As you learn more, the process eventually will become much easier to do. After a couple of weeks you'll find you can play them more fluently, and with the musical alphabet move them anywhere.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.