Mastodon - Arguably a modern day Black Sabbath

Jarsew
Jarsew
09/05/2010 3:07 am
I personally cant stand their first few albums, but their latest album I thought had some really good guitar work. Not necessarily technical, but moreso the mood/atmosphere they are creating is awesome for me. Sort of resembles Black Sabbath. And honestly, I havent really heard a band that came close to a good Sabbath-influenced-sound besides these guys. (Definitely enlighten me is you know of any other bands...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pm16ythlec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i65fMJh2pg
# 1
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/22/2010 10:10 pm
I have been a Mastadon fan since day one. I was fan of there stuff long before I ever heard a note based on the name alone. I bought the first album, "Remission" and have stuck with them ever since. Comparing them to Black Sabbath I feel is fair but of course, this is 2010 and they have a sound and approach that is far more theatrical and of the times (obviously.) I am glad you like them and I feel they are a rare find in rock of today. They are currently doing movie soundtracks among other creative works and they are a great example of how sticking to your vision will aid in the music business working for you.

If you like Mastadon, you may also like The Sword
Douglas Showalter
# 2
Jarsew
Jarsew
09/23/2010 4:00 pm
Something about Mastodons first two albums just dont click for me. Blood Mountain is hit or miss, some good stuff here and there. Yet Crack the Skye I love every song. My pattern of what I like from them tends to follow their progression of albums, where with each album it seems they slowly stray away from that "sludgy" metal sound, and becoming more progressive. Brent Hinds even said in a interview that Crack the Skye was the sound he was looking for since day one of Mastodon...

Ill re-listen to their other stuff though, its been a long time. Since I adore Crack the Skye so much, ill probably show a little more appreciation for their earlier work.

Thanks for The Sword link, not too shabby. Ill look more into them. They too were clearly influenced by old school metal, which is always interesting hearing new bands pull that sound off.
# 3
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/11/2010 9:52 pm
I recently found this band that is very much in the same category as Mastadon. Check it!!!!!

Zebulon Pike
Douglas Showalter
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.