My fingers can NOT stretch like that!

Guitarteacheruk
Guitarteacheruk
11/07/2010 7:28 pm
Originally Posted by: KerryInHollandSo I'm just starting out. I'm trying to place my fingers to make particular chords and am amazed that anybody can reach these! I'm imagining my fingers will limber up in time? Any tips for progression on this or do I just need to repeat, repeat, repeat? It's a bit disheartening when I strum the chord and it sounds like a dying animal. :cool:

Hey Kerry, keep the faith, start small and work your way up. if you have petite hands try D chords Amin Chords and Emin

If you have big hands like me try G D and C but miss out C if you are small handed because the 3rd finger will choke the other strings at this stage, if you check the beginner section on here you will see that some chords are broken down for example a C can be as simple as the 1st finger only then introduce the 2nd finger etc same applys with all other chords.

Rob
www.eventstudiosnottingham.co.uk - One to one and Skype lessons
# 1
Guitarteacheruk
Guitarteacheruk
11/07/2010 7:32 pm
Originally Posted by: GuitarPsyenjoy the pain, pain is fun :cool:

all guitarists eventually become sadists, we have no choice..

Not too much pain though! listen to your body.
www.eventstudiosnottingham.co.uk - One to one and Skype lessons
# 2

11/08/2010 8:17 pm
I remember when I first started 6 months ago I had so much trouble stretching my fingers on chords like C and G as well as my fingers going through a lot of pain .

All I can say is what everyone has also said . Practice practice practice for I remember when I finally got to my first barre chord F it took me alone 2-3 months to build up the finger dexterity and strength .

But for what it's worth what you're going through is what ever major guitarist out there went through also so don't give up . I've only been with GT a short time but I'm amazed at my progress and enjoying playing so much .
# 3
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
11/09/2010 7:55 pm
Originally Posted by: samataI think you meant "Masochists"....unless there's something about you we don't know? :D

I regard my body as another being (or annoyance), though when the pain eventually reaches me, I then enjoy it..every last bit of it..maybe we're sadomasochists :rolleyes:
= good music is good drinking =
# 4
Bonafan1
Bonafan1
11/10/2010 9:13 pm
Originally Posted by: KerryInHollandSo I'm just starting out. I'm trying to place my fingers to make particular chords and am amazed that anybody can reach these! I'm imagining my fingers will limber up in time? Any tips for progression on this or do I just need to repeat, repeat, repeat? It's a bit disheartening when I strum the chord and it sounds like a dying animal. :cool:

The F major was a killer for me and now (about 3 months) it's almost second nature. Not bragging, point is you will get it. For me, I found more frequent, but short, practice sessions helps keep frustration down. I am now experiencing the same thing practicing chord progressions with the Cmin, Fmin and Gmin chords. Very hard, but I can relate it to the early struggles with F maj. Good luck.
# 5
Tyrants Rave
Tyrants Rave
11/17/2010 10:37 am
Hi for some reason, the C chord wasnt a big hassle for me in the beginner fundmentals 1. However in 2 mixing it with the others, ive realized, the G string always goes dull with the middle on the D. I had to do the cheat on the F Major chord, i can do the rest of the progression, ive been on it for like a MONTH. My fingers and hands are small, I dont know what to do, im wondering if its something I cant ever fix. Now as im typing this, im doing the G major, E minor, C major, D major @ 120 Beats per minute, but still it screws up sometimes. Is having small or meaty fingertips a weakness? I mean im a ragdoll in terms of size, i cant get any thinner in the fingers lol.
# 6
KRAZYTRUKER
KRAZYTRUKER
12/14/2010 4:21 pm
Originally Posted by: Tyrants RaveHi for some reason, the C chord wasnt a big hassle for me in the beginner fundmentals 1. However in 2 mixing it with the others, ive realized, the G string always goes dull with the middle on the D. I had to do the cheat on the F Major chord, i can do the rest of the progression, ive been on it for like a MONTH. My fingers and hands are small, I dont know what to do, im wondering if its something I cant ever fix. Now as im typing this, im doing the G major, E minor, C major, D major @ 120 Beats per minute, but still it screws up sometimes. Is having small or meaty fingertips a weakness? I mean im a ragdoll in terms of size, i cant get any thinner in the fingers lol.

I have big or meaty fingers. My girl calls them meaty man hands. Its all about finding the comfortable position for you. Maybe try some different chord variations or maybe try holding the guitar a different way or in a different position. It is a struggle we all must face. I hate buzzing strings.
Possibly even look at a differnt size guitar if you really struggle. Just some food for thought. Good luck
# 7
GonzoGuy
GonzoGuy
12/19/2010 2:25 am
I have played so sloppily for so long...I am retraining My fingers. Right now I am working on the chord riff, to "I've Got A Feeling" by the Beatles.
I just am having trouble making My pinky hold that high "A". I am working on it though.
# 8
Jackier
Jackier
12/20/2010 5:20 am
:) Glad to get advice on reaching the impossible cords. I'm a Massage Therapist and I do other techniques to keep my hands healthy. Stretching on the thigh is more efficient. Just one thing to add on stretching: hold for 3-5 seconds, and do each section 3-5 times. Never stretch to the point of pain!! If you do a hormone is released into the muscles and the muscles actually stop stretching. You gain nothing by being in pain while stretching!!!! Go to the point of pain and back off the stretch so it is just below your feeling pain. Your body does this to keep you from having fingers flying accross the room!!! ha ha! :eek: :D

Does this message forum have a spell check??? :confused: If not, I'm sorry now for any errors in spelling!!! :o
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.