View post (The Traynor)

View thread

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/23/2010 11:37 am
Soldano was/is respected for his mod work and his own line of SOL amps. Here's some Wiki blurb on Mike Soldano.

Jet City is his new offering, he uses some circuit boards in the processing rather than soldering individual caps & resistors to a chassis, so costs are cut quite a bit from his flagship line (if they are even still made). BUT, these are not DSP amps. There is no effects - tweakable or otherwise - going on here. The boards are basically double-thick copper signal routing to onboard caps & resistors required to make the amp function.

As for the old Traynor, it sounds great. This gear is pretty old, so it was no surprise the tweeters were blown. I think using them would icepick the friggen' ears right out of your head anyway. There's a variable control on the back so I can put the cab full on to the woofer. This sounds great, so I'll end up pulling the horn & tweeters and dropping in another 12 or 15. Surprisingly warm & full for an SS (it's probably loaded with carbon comp resistors). I have no documentation on the cab, but I beliive it was intended for instruments from guitar to piano.

It does have an OD, but it's pretty lame. Designed to work like over driving an amp, when the channel volume is pushed past 5 it begins to break up. But it ain''t nothing to write home about! With some effects in front, though it's pretty cool.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.