View post (First time on stage)

View thread

Bruce J
Bruce J
08/04/2010 1:49 am
Thanks, guys. If you'd asked me even a few months ago if I could imagine playing on stage I would have thought you were nuts. But a good friend and co-worker had a band that was playing at a company function of ours. Somehow I summoned the courage to say that maybe I could play one song with them. So I went just two days before the gig to the guy's house and did a test with the band. I thought I'd stay for ten minutes to do two songs that I knew, but 90 minutes later I was still with them. Sometimes I just had to sit out as I couldn't follow the band, but mostly I could get an eye on one of the two other guitars and sort of follow along. It gave me lots of confidence for the show itself.

Fortunately we had 30 minutes or so on stage checking the set up and getting to warm up a bit. Then the set started and I sat out the first several songs so they could call me up on stage. I'm the head of the office and few knew that I could play at all, so it was a pretty cool surprise. I really wasn't nervous, I was just ready to have fun - and it was a blast. Again, I just can't recommend it enough if you have any chance to do this.

I don't know if this link will work, but here's a pic from that night:

http://www.pbase.com/bruce_j/image/126988719