First time on stage

Bruce J
Bruce J
08/01/2010 10:41 pm
After about 18 months of learning the guitar behind my computer and playing in the living room, I got a chance to stand in with a band for four songs at a company function. It was as much fun as I've had in many years. We played Folsom Prison Blues and Ring for Fire, then the band went into some song I ddin't know and so I just followed along as best as I could keeping an eye on the chord changes. Then we finished with Dead Flowers, which was a lot of fun.

For anybody considering it, I strongly suggest finding anyone to play with. It makes it so much more enjoyable than playing along with a computer. But, thanks to Guitar Tricks for the good lessons and practice time that let me get up on stage and take one off the bucket list!

Bruce
# 1
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
08/01/2010 11:17 pm
Hey Bruce,
Now you're hooked, being on stage is a blast. Interesting song list too, looks as versatile as my band. We just play what's requested, and of course some stuff I love to pick.

You gave some good advice in your post, and it's great that you stayed for the one you didn't know. As a rule most of the time songs are going to have at least a 1, 4, 5, progression. There are many exceptions to this depending on the style of music, and you could be dealing with more or less. Knowing the keys, and the chords in them you'll be able to follow along more easily in a song you never played. I'll be the first to say that we're proud of you, and you'll have to keep on because now you're hooked, lol.
# 2
Bruce J
Bruce J
08/02/2010 2:19 am
Thanks, Sixpicker. I was familiar with the 1, 4, 5 progression because I've mostly been playing blues - and so Folsom was easy from that standpoint. But I also worked on all the open chords and am pretty good at switching quickly among them, so I was able to follow along on some other progressions too.

The experience definitely will not be my last, you're right on that. It could be very addicting. It also got me rejuvenated to pick up my game, particularly on sticking with the bar chords till I really get more comfortable with them.

There's lots more fun to be had out there!

Bruce
# 3
Bobby_V
Bobby_V
08/02/2010 11:57 pm
Good job Bruce.

I can't imagine being good enough to play in front of people but I bet its a blast. Thanks for letting us know. Makes me feel like theres light at the end of the tunnel.

Bobby
# 4
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
08/03/2010 9:23 am
after 18 months already good enough that you can improvise during a song you don't know.. good job on that one! I can't imagine the fear of suddenly realizing they're playing an unknown song!

it's nice to read about these experiences, in september I'm up for joining a band, can't wait to rock out, though I already experience the fear of screwing up on stage! my friend's a bass player and he told me 'you shouldn't have chosen the guitar if you're afraid of playing on stage, you should've chosen the bass, you can hide behind your amp and no one will notice :p'
= good music is good drinking =
# 5
Bruce J
Bruce J
08/04/2010 1:49 am
Thanks, guys. If you'd asked me even a few months ago if I could imagine playing on stage I would have thought you were nuts. But a good friend and co-worker had a band that was playing at a company function of ours. Somehow I summoned the courage to say that maybe I could play one song with them. So I went just two days before the gig to the guy's house and did a test with the band. I thought I'd stay for ten minutes to do two songs that I knew, but 90 minutes later I was still with them. Sometimes I just had to sit out as I couldn't follow the band, but mostly I could get an eye on one of the two other guitars and sort of follow along. It gave me lots of confidence for the show itself.

Fortunately we had 30 minutes or so on stage checking the set up and getting to warm up a bit. Then the set started and I sat out the first several songs so they could call me up on stage. I'm the head of the office and few knew that I could play at all, so it was a pretty cool surprise. I really wasn't nervous, I was just ready to have fun - and it was a blast. Again, I just can't recommend it enough if you have any chance to do this.

I don't know if this link will work, but here's a pic from that night:

http://www.pbase.com/bruce_j/image/126988719
# 6
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
08/04/2010 7:50 am
Hey Bruce,
I'm telling you man, you're hooked now, lol. You look really comfy with that strat too, pretty soon you'll be joining a band.

You even had them introduce you, that's a sure sign you've been bitten by the bug.

Seriously though, it is a milestone for you, and we're all proud of you. Thanks for sharing your first gig experience with us, and I'll look forward to hearing about your next performance.
# 7
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/04/2010 12:44 pm
That's awesome, Bruce! I'll second (or third?) the compliment on not leaving the stage when you hit an unfamiliar song. That's a brave thing even for experienced players. I know some well versed players that get really antsy if they don't have a song down cold.

Congrats! :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 8
Bruce J
Bruce J
08/05/2010 12:43 pm
Thanks again, guys. I appreciate the great comments and compliments. I doubt I will need any more encouragement to do it again, but every bit helps! I've got about 20 songs that I feel pretty comfortable with now, but all rhythm, no lead work (although I'm trying!). Also, just about all open chords because my bar chords are not ready for public display, so I'm keeping it very basic for now. It's just fun playing songs.

My list contains several Neil Young songs (love that guy), Cash, Lucinda Wiiliams, Stones, Clapton, and some assorted others particularly anything in a 12 Bar blues format in E or A primarily. I'm trying to add a new one every couple of days. I do well for a while then get off track, just like anyone else.

This would all be even more fun if I could really sing - but I can't buy a voice at Guitar Center!

Bruce
# 9
Beantown Boy
Beantown Boy
08/05/2010 1:16 pm
Playing in front of an audience is a dream of mine. At 42 I regret not learning the guitar 20 years ago but what can you do. My company has a "talent" show once a year and my hope is to be able to perform something next year. Just playing basic chords as part of a band would be a thrill.

Congrats. I am sure this experience will spur you on to improve.
# 10
Bruce J
Bruce J
08/05/2010 5:21 pm
Don't feel too bad, Beantown, you still beat me to it by 11 years. You'll be playing at Carnegie Hall by the time you're my age (54 now).
# 11
Rescued1
Rescued1
08/11/2010 11:12 pm
I joined a church band and played in a three piece acoustic once a week in front of maybe a dozen people at a weekly meeting. Then came the big event. The other guys in the band added some of their friends and there were rehearsals and I felt pretty good about the sets.

Then came time to face the 600 who were at the event. What a rush. I could here them singing along. The feedback was incredible. I have been hooked ever since.

We have another concert coming up in September. By the way, it's not acoustic any more. I have 5 Guitars, 2 amps, pedals, and all the gear. I can't figure which is worse, being a performance junkie or a gear whore!

R1
# 12
hunter1801
hunter1801
08/12/2010 4:55 pm
My first time on an actual stage in front of a lot of people is going to be tonight.....and I'm getting nervous now. I've played in front of strangers before and I wasn't nervous, but this time for our first official show I'm going to have family there so I think that's putting more pressure on. Hopefully I'll have it under control by tonight.
# 13
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
08/12/2010 10:28 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801My first time on an actual stage in front of a lot of people is going to be tonight.....and I'm getting nervous now. I've played in front of strangers before and I wasn't nervous, but this time for our first official show I'm going to have family there so I think that's putting more pressure on. Hopefully I'll have it under control by tonight.

get a beer ;) hope you had a blast, though I know you have!
# 14
hunter1801
hunter1801
08/13/2010 9:52 pm
Wow....the show went awesome. Nerves went away completely when I started setting the stage up. Once they lifted the projector screen up and hit us with the lights the show just took off.

We had a film crew so I'll update in another thread when I get the footage.

Oh and there were definitely beers flowing among the band
# 15
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
01/30/2011 11:26 pm
I just remembered this thread..after having played on stage for the first time! :eek:

oooh the nerves.. I thought I was gonna wreck havoc with all our songs, luckily my fingers could grip the chords and my hand kept rhythm but wow what an experience this was! nothing could've prepared me for this, even a few beers didn't work, it felt as if all the spotlights were on me :rolleyes: the nerves stayed the entire time (we did 4 songs) and during one song my hand almost cramped up lol damn barre chords.. but I had fun!!

luckily it all went ok, rough but fine, we got a lot of enthusiastic response! everyone loved our reggae-arrangement of 'Superstition' and two songs we wrote ourselves :) the performance was with five bands who also take courses at the music school, so a lot of critics in the house, you gotta love your fellow musicians! :D

now I can't finish this without a live picture, so here it is, me playing the bass for one of our own songs

# 16
JonChorba
JonChorba
02/01/2011 5:33 pm
Originally Posted by: GuitarPsyI just remembered this thread..after having played on stage for the first time! :eek:

oooh the nerves.. I thought I was gonna wreck havoc with all our songs, luckily my fingers could grip the chords and my hand kept rhythm but wow what an experience this was! nothing could've prepared me for this, even a few beers didn't work, it felt as if all the spotlights were on me :rolleyes: the nerves stayed the entire time (we did 4 songs) and during one song my hand almost cramped up lol damn barre chords.. but I had fun!!

luckily it all went ok, rough but fine, we got a lot of enthusiastic response! everyone loved our reggae-arrangement of 'Superstition' and two songs we wrote ourselves :) the performance was with five bands who also take courses at the music school, so a lot of critics in the house, you gotta love your fellow musicians! :D

now I can't finish this without a live picture, so here it is, me playing the bass for one of our own songs

Awesome dude! Congrats! I promise the more you play in front of people, the easier it gets and the better it makes you!
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 17
Dan Acheron
Dan Acheron
02/03/2011 1:08 am
I remember my first time playing on stage. I was nervous at first but everything went good! Congrats on the show!
# 18
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
02/03/2011 9:39 am
thnx, it did change my perspective on writing songs though, now I know I've gotta be able to play it live and that's a lot harder than during rehearsals :p

it also made me to pay even more attention on playing clean, I envy you telecaster people, without distortion you can easily hear mistakes, unless you're doing a solo, which is still a bit out of my reach
# 19
shaniab
shaniab
10/19/2011 1:51 pm
You my friend have been bitten by the music bug. Very dangerous desease! :D There is no cure and symptoms my include but are not limited too:

Sudden development of G.A.S (guitar acquisition syndrome)
An urge to play your guitar non-stop
Withdrawal symptoms if your away from you guitar for more than 5 hours or less
Going crazy if you can't play with other musicians
A constant urge to be onstage
The chance of ignoring the fire alarm when it goes off...
Your wife yelling across the hall no longer phases you while you play...:D

You may only be relieved of the symptoms by giving into them. Trust me, I got bit by the music YEEAARRSS ago...and now have at least 6 guitars, and recording equipment up the @$$. I also got to play with a forming band. That didn't help the bug at all :D
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.