What is music?

guitarboy313
guitarboy313
07/05/2010 6:12 am
So this is just a thread about what music means to you. Behind the root of Music Theory has to be a cause. Such as my cause to music is soul, passion, heart, emotion. These are the things that drive me to play, listen and write music. You put these all together and this is what music is to me. I believe if you truly love music and you put your heart and soul into it you will make a great musician.

If you put emotion, heart and soul into your music, even if your not playing your own songs, people will want to listen to you.

Its my thought on what drives music, my opinion and you are all entitled to yours. Post your opinions below. No arguing please, its people's opinions and thoughts on what makes good musicians and great music.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Everything is over rated except guitars drums basses and pianos.[/FONT]
# 1
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
07/05/2010 10:22 am
I agree on 'putting emotion into music causes it to become more than just a song', allthough to express emotion through music and actually succeed in doing so is a totally different matter.. not everyone is as gifted in expressing their emotions and reaching their fellow man as others are

imo there are two ways of creating art, one from the heart and one from the mind (knowledge, intellect), I believe that if you use your knowledge (e.g. of music theory) to enhance your music you'll succeed more in creating something that's not only genuine but also succeeds in delivering it

I believe music to have a certain logic which can only be seen by the heart, but sometimes we discover bits and pieces with our mind so we can create what we feel inside
= good music is good drinking =
# 2
Jarsew
Jarsew
07/05/2010 10:23 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarboy313If you put emotion, heart and soul into your music, even if your not playing your own songs, people will want to listen to you.
Even though I agree with you for the most part, a lot of it is subjective. You take any musician out of any genre and ask them if they are putting their emotion and soul into the music; more than likely all will say "of course I am", whether you think they are or not. And who has the right, beside the musician himself, to tell them they are not playing with emotion and soul?

CSchlegel had to point out the obvious to me awhile ago in a different thread. I was bickering on how I don't like certain music (Vai, Satriani, Dream Theater...) because I didn't feel any emotion out of the music. He simply said music doesn't contain emotion, it doesn't carry it around in its pocket or anything :p, emotion is my own unique reaction to the music; Even the idea I hear some robot playing is indeed an emotion, my own unique perception. But it does not in anyway mean that they are not playing with emotion because I said so. It just doesn't click for me, that's all there is to it!

Point being, there are probably a whole lot of bands you don't like, perhaps even despise, where the musicians are putting their soul and emotion into it.
# 3
guitarboy313
guitarboy313
07/06/2010 2:43 am
Yea good point, I understand what you mean. Its how you perceive a song.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Everything is over rated except guitars drums basses and pianos.[/FONT]
# 4
Jarsew
Jarsew
07/09/2010 5:11 pm
Was hoping this thread would get more attention...
# 5
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/09/2010 7:23 pm
Music is the rythmic (or not so much) application of sound in various patterns, tones, attack, and duration intended to be listened to for entertainment purposes. :p
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 6
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/17/2023 7:35 pm

Along with Skiing, and Sex, Music completes the trifecta of the best reasons for being human.

edited

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.