View post (When does music become public domain?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/10/2010 12:05 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboI really didn't look beyond the fact that the artist had died. It just seemed unethical to me to make new albums under a deceased artist's name.[/quote]
That is indeed a bizarre situation. But, consider two facts:

1. There is a market demand for Hendrix.
2. Hendrix left a bunch of unreleased recorded material.

Regardless of what you & I think, someone is going to put those two pieces of info together. I suppose it's best if it is done in a way that at least benefits someone Hendrix knew & might have chosen as an heir.

What I've read & heard from friends that are interested in the stuff, most of it is studio quality, but still unpolished demos, jams, and discarded takes of half finished songs. So, I have no idea how those in charge of the project decide what to use & how. I don't know what possible standard they could use. It's not as if Hendrix left instructions. :confused:

A couple friends of mine that are big Hendrix fans have the complete MCA recordings, with tons of outtakes, and the other posthumously released albums. I've heard them years ago & they are sub-standard in my opinion compared to his three main studio albums. Some of them are just noisy jams that I found boring or even annoying. In my opinion, these things simply do not do justice to the artist that I think of as the creator of such beautiful tunes as "May This Be Love", "The Wind Cries Mary", or "Castles Made Of Sand". :(

But, YMMV.
[QUOTE=Razbo]
An interesting and eye opening thread. Thanks for the info!

My pleasure. Thanks for the discussion. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory