View post (The bands that inspire me.)

View thread

Jarsew
Jarsew
06/14/2010 5:05 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerIf not for the singing, I could get into this. Why does everyone think it sounds so cool to sing like they are taking a huge crap? Too bad for me because I really Really REALLY like it musically, but the vocals just kill it for me.
Haha thats ridiculous.

Its interesting though isnt it, that he also sings clean within the same song he growls?

That tells me hes using his vocals for whatever fits the theme the best. On this album, they utilize clean singing, choir-esque singing, simply talking/yelling, and growling. They all provide the song with a different mood. I wouldnt like it nearly as much if he solely sang clean, it wouldn't flow with the song and I would get bored honestly. Although I would like to hear them doing a straight acoustic folk album where he only sings clean, because then it would fit better with the theme, and sound awful if he growled.

I know this may be odd to hear, but when one listens to alot of the metal where they are growling, you start hearing how well they are doing it or not. In the instance with the Turisas band, he does really well. His rhythm is perfect, and he is singing , hes doing a melody believe it or not. And yes, the "raspiness" is perfect for the music.

The ones who do it badly have crap rhythm and they cant perform with melody, very monotone. Or the ones where they cant control the melody and are off key with the music.

Try out this song, he only sings clear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFBIr3Vx16w

Here is another where its mainly clear/choir singing, but when it comes to 2:07, listen to the music; its very distraught, chaotic. It suits the mood/theme for him to growl then sing clear. Dont worry it only last 20 seconds :D. And then a last segment of growling at 3:57 is probably the best he does on the whole album. Listen to how well the rhythm and melody is performed. Its also the climax of the song. Its sounds huge, epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIwBsL4KrFw&feature=related