As songwriters?

Joseph
Joseph
02/03/2002 3:57 am
How do you guys go about writing songs? With this question, I'm asking how you combine the lyrics with the music?

Ever since I can remember, I've always been writing songs, creating the right melodies and searching for the perfect words to go along. However, it's safe to say that we all have a different approach:[i] For me, I've always written the music and the lyrics seperately, and I gradually try to find a way to combine the two. But of course, we have to get a certain feel in order to find the right words... I have several poems that I've written throughout my life, however, I can't just pick a certain piece randomly to go with the music. I guess The music has always been most important to me, so after listening to the music over and over again, I try to wait for the perfect lyrics to come naturally (rolling right off the tip of my tongue.) I get some of the ideas from my poems, but the rest comes from my heart.

As musicians, we pride ourselves with our technique and our acute knowledge of various guitar solos around the globe. It makes us feel good about ourselves when we can simply blow wind playing as fast as we can, when we can simply dazzle our peers. But it's important to feel intone with the simplcity of music, and how a few simple chords could be the start of one of our greatest compositions to this date.

I guess I'm always challenging myself when it comes to songwriting. Not always with the complexity of the notes, but ith the way the music makes me feel!

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/03/2002 4:01 am
For me it depends on the song. I usually write parts seperately then combine, but I've wrote lyrics directly to music before and I've wrote music for lyrics too.

I guess it all depends on what I'm feeling at the time.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Joseph
Joseph
02/03/2002 4:07 am
I'm been through a lot of turmoil in the past few months of my life, but I'm living proof that anyone can simply survive. But throughout everything that has transpired, I've still been writing music, it's just that the lyrics, well I've been having a hard time with. But I've searched through my note pads (poems from high school) many years ago. I've found some creative ideas, as well as some pretty neat memories. However, I guess the approach that I've always taken (and the approach I'm taking right now) is that listen to the music, and I try to naturally communicate with the sounds. It's much easier than tryng to communicate with my ex-girlfriend,) :D but either way it's alwas a chalenge. But I think that's good because it keeps things interesting. I write down a few random passages that help me get a grip on whre I want to take the song thematically.

I'm sure evetryone has their unique methods, I hear some people even stand on their heads!

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 3
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/03/2002 3:52 pm
I think if you just let it flow,the song will just come out in it's own good time.It would be a mistake,if you ask me,to try and force things together.If you have enough reason to write a song,then you shouldn't struggle to put one and one together.
I don't write songs myself.Until my guitar playing improves enough so that my hands can 'say' what is in my heart,I won't write any.Now all I do is collect ideas.I carry a notebook with me( you get ideas in all sorts of places).
There's some articles I saw on a website called guitarnoise.You might want to check it out.Go to
www.guitarnoise.com
and click on the link 'songwriting'.
See what you think about it.
# 4
ZackyH
ZackyH
02/04/2002 4:49 am
That kind of makes me think of something. What did you guys write in high school? I wrote some pretty screwed up stuff during that time. High school was though for me. My grandfather had just died and my parents had been in a car wreck and almost died. Here's an example from when I was 17. I'm 19 now and I haven't written anything very depressing in a long time.

ex.1

I'm ready
ready to die
waiting is the
waiting is the worst part
the worst part of living
knowing it will be
so long before you're dieing

ex.2

Never trust the people you know
They are just so cold
Or so Iā€™m told
By people I donā€™t know

(Ok, that last one wasn't depressing. I just thought it was pretty clever :D )
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/04/2002 12:50 pm
I know I have my depressing songs too. I just wish there were different inspirations in my life more often.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
ZackyH
ZackyH
02/04/2002 5:53 pm
That's one problem with me and my writing. I always write something after something band happens. I can never write anything when something good happens.
# 7
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
02/04/2002 6:11 pm
I don't really have a good method yet...I write lyrics...I write progressions and signature leads...and every once in a great while...I'll realize that some lyrics match one of my progressions. Open for suggestions.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/05/2002 12:13 am
"So your standing out in front of the terminal bar
And a thunder bird is moving in a musketail sky
You've been drinking cleaning products all night..
open for suggestions"

Sorry, couldn't help it.
PS: Tom Waits is The Man.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/07/2002 5:08 pm
Originally posted by ZackyH
That's one problem with me and my writing. I always write something after something band happens. I can never write anything when something good happens.

I think it's the way we're made.Human nature.When something bad happens,we feel wronged,cheated,humiliated,whateva,and want to get back.Getting back is in itself aggressive,and when you're aggressive,you're less inhibited,so I suppose your creative'juices' flow or something.
Nearly everyone cries when hurt.Not many people shed "tears of joy".Because to share joy,you need to know if the other person wants to share in your joy.But when you're angered,you don't give a f*&^ what anyone thinks.You simply have to get it out,exorcise it.
# 10
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/07/2002 5:20 pm
Originally posted by Joseph

I'm sure evetryone has their unique methods, I hear some people even stand on their heads!

-Joseph

It probably helps them see things from a different angle. :D
I heard that if you look at the full moon when it's at the horizon by bending and looking at from between your legs,it doesn't look as large as it otherwise would.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.