View post (Wattage for Garage Play?)

View thread

hunter1801
hunter1801
03/24/2010 9:39 pm
Not exactly an expert in the field, but this is just my 2 cents. The smaller the space, I would think you might need more power since everyone else is in there with you and sound is bouncing off everything. Drums get loud too obviously.

I would say you'd want at least 30w. 15 might cut it, but it would have to be ALL the way up. Also depends on how your drummer plays. If hes a loud hitter, you'll be pushing your luck with a 15. Last thing you want is to buy the bare minimum then realize it just doesn't quite cut it and putting in a few more dollars would have gave you a LOT more room to work with.

Maybe I'm underestimating the power of tubes, but that's what I would think. I have a Peavey Valveking 212 at 100w and I didn't have to turn it all the way up when I played with a drummer. If I were you I'd get at least a 30, or closer to 100 if you want to cover all your bases. Depends what you want to do long term though. That's probably what you should base your decision on. Playing in a garage or playing on stage. You definitely don't need near 100 for just a practice amp.

For lower volumes though, keep in mind tubes sound better at high volume. Not going to get all that tube tone at low volumes if you're planning on using it just for practice.

EDIT: Oh ya, as far as effects goes. You mentioned you're open to an amp that has effects built in, but just from personal preference I'd say pedals are a better way to go. Those types of amps seem to have a lot of bells and whistles, but they sacrifice good tone for it. Put your money into a "simple" amp that just gives you a basic 2 channels like I think you wanted. Pedals do get more expensive, but they allow you to get a more custom sound, not just whatever the amp gives you. So in the end you'll get a better sounding amp overall and you can pick and choose what effects you want.