Wattage for Garage Play?

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/24/2010 7:42 pm
I've been considering upgrading from my Fender Vibro Champ to the Super Champ for both power and channel switching. I'm also considering some alternative amps, but I really like some of the amp models in my VC, so it would be nice to go with what I know.

The Super Champ is a 15 watt tuber (with DSP), and I'm wondering if that would leave me comfortable headroom playing in a full band scenario with drums et al. Any thoughts?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/24/2010 7:55 pm
Is it literally in a garage type area? Small enclosed space kind of thing?
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/24/2010 9:04 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Is it literally in a garage type area? Small enclosed space kind of thing?

Good question. I'm thinking yes, literally.

I don't even need that power for practicing, and I don't have any real prospects of setting up even a casual band right now. But, that is a potential part of the equation, plus I need some channel switching. If the VC amp had that, I'd probably not even be looking.

So, I was targeting the Super Champ that would hopefully not overpower practice sessions, but be enough if (or hopefully when) I might need it for some jamming. ...It would be nice to replace the Vibro Champ and not have to keep both, but I still want some good drive at lower volumes.

I think that's called having my cake and eating it too. :)

A couple of other amps I was eyeing are the Bogner Alchemist 112 (has 20/40) switching, The Egnator Rebel 30 (variable 1 - 30) and the Epi Blues Custom (has 15/30). And a bunch of others.

I' m really in "fishing mode" and open to ideas. I don't really play metal, but I like to rip on it once in a while and have lately had the urge to learn some EVH, so effects built in and channel switching would save me some pedals, but neither is absolutely required.

The SC would have fit nicely, but I need some headroom for when the bass player gets too loud. And you know they always do... :D
# 3
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/24/2010 9:38 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboGood question. I'm thinking yes, literally.
I don't really play metal, but I like to rip on it once in a while and have lately had the urge to learn some EVH

The october. :)
Assembly required.

2x10 Eminence Ragin Cajun's is LOUD. Much louder than bedroom volumes. can it hold it's own against a loud drummer? That would probably be pushing it. Maybe with 4x10.

Which is a nice feature of the october... It has two cab outputs. :)
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 4
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/24/2010 9:39 pm
Not exactly an expert in the field, but this is just my 2 cents. The smaller the space, I would think you might need more power since everyone else is in there with you and sound is bouncing off everything. Drums get loud too obviously.

I would say you'd want at least 30w. 15 might cut it, but it would have to be ALL the way up. Also depends on how your drummer plays. If hes a loud hitter, you'll be pushing your luck with a 15. Last thing you want is to buy the bare minimum then realize it just doesn't quite cut it and putting in a few more dollars would have gave you a LOT more room to work with.

Maybe I'm underestimating the power of tubes, but that's what I would think. I have a Peavey Valveking 212 at 100w and I didn't have to turn it all the way up when I played with a drummer. If I were you I'd get at least a 30, or closer to 100 if you want to cover all your bases. Depends what you want to do long term though. That's probably what you should base your decision on. Playing in a garage or playing on stage. You definitely don't need near 100 for just a practice amp.

For lower volumes though, keep in mind tubes sound better at high volume. Not going to get all that tube tone at low volumes if you're planning on using it just for practice.

EDIT: Oh ya, as far as effects goes. You mentioned you're open to an amp that has effects built in, but just from personal preference I'd say pedals are a better way to go. Those types of amps seem to have a lot of bells and whistles, but they sacrifice good tone for it. Put your money into a "simple" amp that just gives you a basic 2 channels like I think you wanted. Pedals do get more expensive, but they allow you to get a more custom sound, not just whatever the amp gives you. So in the end you'll get a better sounding amp overall and you can pick and choose what effects you want.
# 5
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/24/2010 11:23 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerThe october. :)[/QUOTE]

That October is sounding better and better. And I do love the smell of fresh solder. Hmmmm...

Originally Posted by: hunter1801I would say you'd want at least 30w. 15 might cut it, but it would have to be ALL the way up.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm not sure what's up with so many 15 watt tube amps out there. Too big for the bedroom and too small for the band...??

[QUOTE=hunter1801]
For lower volumes though, keep in mind tubes sound better at high volume. Not going to get all that tube tone at low volumes if you're planning on using it just for practice.

I guess whatever I do I better be considering a separate amp and keeping the VC (and maybe building an October lol). The other serious contender has been the Fender Hotrod Deluxe at 40 watts I think. I've got 3 models of that on the VC and I like them.
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/25/2010 3:02 am
If you jam with anyone else, I just want to point out that unless it is a mellow jazz combo, drummers are loud. It's easy to get buried very quick. Also, if you have an open back combo, the louder you get, the more the bottom end wants to drop off.

If I needed to do that again (and I have no desire to at the moment...), I would be sure to at least get a 2x12 closed cabinet and ensure that my amp had an out for it. I've mentioned in threads gone by about my arcane 80's rig which was a 70's era Peavey Classic 212 combo (SS/Tube hybrid), generic 4x12 cab and a Cry Baby running through a Boss Turbo Overdrive to the front of the amp. Easily the dumbest sounding set up but it was huge tone. Before I added the 4x12, bedroom jamming had great tone but when I jammed with other musicians or when I started in a band, the bottom end just died. So, I tried a friends 4x12 with my rig (if you want to call it that) and it sounded really good so I bought a cab.

Anyway, a good, lowish watt amp will do but be mindful of how it will sound when it is at a volume that when you need to hear it over other players, it will not sound like a dying cat.
# 7
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/25/2010 12:28 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65Anyway, a good, lowish watt amp will do but be mindful of how it will sound when it is at a volume that when you need to hear it over other players, it will not sound like a dying cat.

I played drums for 15 years and never took notice of what the guys were using for amps. They were just boxes to me and loud=good. That was about it.

This is probably just a pipe dream on my part... Drummers are actually hard to find and I'm only looking for something casual. (Though I suppose I would take a record deal :D) I'm a little shy about my playing, being basically a first year player. I don't want to get hooked up with freaks, and at my age anyone playing is almost surely to be a mad shredder of some sort with decades experience... sigh.
# 8
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/25/2010 3:56 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboII don't want to get hooked up with freaks, and at my age anyone playing is almost surely to be a mad shredder of some sort with decades experience... sigh.

Nothing wrong with that. You can learn from them. Hell, I WANT to play with people who are more educated on the guitar than I am... The key word being 'EDUCATED'.
# 9
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/25/2010 5:09 pm
That's a good point. I am looking at this wrong.
# 10
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/25/2010 5:45 pm
These instructors should be happy they don't live near me. I'd be at their house daily bugging the piss out of them.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.