View post (Controversial view on music theory?)

View thread

Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/19/2010 9:39 pm
This is something that I hear all too often, and in one way or another I can very much understand the frustrations. Something that I have routinely posted on this message board is how I came to understand music theory, and how it clicked it with me. In short, I played guitar long before I knew anything about what I was doing (whatever that means.) About 5 years ago, I was teaching guitar lessons, still not knowing much of anything about theory other than a few scale patterns and the notes on the neck of the guitar. When I started to really dive in, it came quickly simply because I LOVED TO PLAY! I had already been playing for a while, and now I wanted to know what I was doing. Why? Because I wanted to play with other people, and be comfortable in every musical situation that came my why. It made sense to me that in order to do that, music theory was what I needed. That mixed with a wealth of playing experience.

From there, I went to school; and blah blah blah. While in school I soaked up all the theory I could, all the while playing, playing, playing. I wanted to work with the best musicians I could find, and also hone my skills as a producer and songwriter. Since graduating from school, the knowledge I gained from playing experience and music theory has made it so I can COMMUNICATE with as many musicians as possible. Communication is the key factor here. I have always stressed to my students and fellow colleagues that the role of music theory is not to over intellectualize what you do, nor strip it of any "emotional" content. Are there people who do this? Perhaps, but who are we to say that Steve Vai, Dream Theater, or more technical players out there are simply exercising their theory jocks. Have you sat in a room with them and asked them about this? I haven't, and I don't really care too honestly. All I care about is how it has helped me, and continues to help me better communicate with other musicians so we can make music quickly and focus more on the production aspects and overall message. You should focus on what you are trying to say musically, and if music theory has no role in that; than fine. There are plenty of great musicians that don't know the first thing about theory yet touch people's hearts daily. Whatever it is you choose to do, do it honestly and make it good.

Also, consider the source. Who is your friend and what has he done for the musical world? This is not a backhanded question. I really want to know, and if you could include any links to where we can hear his playing and music, I would love to listen. It is very easy to become influenced by those we look up too, but we also must think about who those people are. I used to worship my hometown heroes and think all they thought and said was the way to go. As I continued to grow, they didn't. Take the guidance and insight of your peers seriously but make sure whomever you are seeking wisdom from is active in making great music and does so in a positive way. Their are many, many opinions out there that simply don't carry weight and I would suggest you choose your wisdom wisely. Anyone that tells you theory is this and that I feel is somewhat disgruntled and if given the chance to understand it better would. I have always felt you needed you needed to know the rules before you break them. If you don't know them, than what you do is your own art, and that is great as well. But, don't degrade what you simply don't know or understand.

The music very much came first, and I ask of you to make good music and if that involves theory, great. If not, that doesn't mean it's not great. The key is to stick to what you do, and don't make great measures or use negative energy to try and stress how un-useful something is. It's all in how you use it. I have talked way too long. My point is overall, make good music that is honest and consider your sources before you let them influence you too much. Do what feels good to you and let your music be heard. Now go practice! :eek:
Douglas Showalter