View post (Controversial view on music theory?)

View thread

Jarsew
Jarsew
03/17/2010 9:18 pm
Hello,

As the title states, I sort of have a "middle of the road" view of musical theory. And I blame it on my friend who I consider a genius when it comes to music.

I was initially very intrigued with music theory when I started guitar 8 years ago or so. To me it almost seemed like music theory was "key" to unlocking the door in becoming an amazing musician.

But when I met my good friend, he kind of crushed that idea for me. All he did when he started the guitar, was learn just one key. The key of C. Once he knew his way around the fretboard in C, you move those same patterns up a whole step and now your in the Key of D, easy enough. He didnt need anything else. He writes these most amazing melodies in minutes. He is one who doesnt need to know "how" the music he writes sounds good and fits, he simply just does it.

So with me very interested in theory, yet seeing a friend capable of writing beautiful music with ease and not knowing jack about theory, I get very discouraged.

Overtime I start having the opinion that music theory was something people created to try and explain and solve the phenomenon of Music. But music cant be explained. You cant put a science or math equation on emotion.

I cant stand to listen to "experts" on musical theory (Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, Dream Theater). Its dry. Sounds like it was an emotionless robot who simply put in notes into music equations and called it music.

I understand the importance of knowing what key your in and what not. But going further into it such as Modes? Ick, i cant stand the concept of Modes. I am in the Key of C and have my root note be E. So what good does it do to call it E Phygrian? Why name it? What difference did it make? Supposedly (as I have read) a lot of Irish/Celtic/folk songs are written in Dorian? Well, so what? Does that change anything? I grantee half of those Irish guys didnt know what Dorian was and were writing in it, they simply just liked the sound! It fit their emotion at the time, and thats all there is to it.

Sorry if I seem sour but I am just frustrated. Music is something done from the soul, and music theory seems like the attempt to solve "why" or "how" music effects people the way it does. And once you know this theory, you too can create beautiful music. I just dont think so.

Views?