Boston

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/17/2010 6:29 pm
I just found out in the last day or two that Boston came out with a new CD back in 1994 called "Walk On"

Never knew that. Listening to it now. What an amazing CD. I've ALWAYS loved their guitar work. Amazing stuff. Not sure how they get their tone but so unique sounding.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/18/2010 2:39 pm
It's a pretty unique tone. I'm thinking distortion + chorus. Never tried playing around to get it, though.

Some "Tone Tutorials" on GT would be a neat idea.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2010 7:53 pm
I honestly feel Boston's first album is one of the greatest rock albums in history. I feel this for many reasons. First thing, the songs are amazing! The playing is great, the lyrics are well said, and the engineering is fantastic. Where as their albums after that are great, their first album set the bar. If you love that, everything after that is similar and their sound is very well in tact. An interesting point is that the first album along with those guitar tones were engineered and done by Tom Schultz (guitarist, songwriter) himself. He was an engineer for Polaroid back in the day and saved up money to buy the gear to record his own records. This was quite a feat in the 70's, and his ability to get great tones at that stage ON HIS OWN is nothing short of amazing. He is a true guitar and engineering genius and that first record and those thereafter are a true testament to that. He is also a remarkable human being, being an active animal rights activist and running his own charitable organizations.

Thought I would chime in on that. Cheers!
Douglas Showalter
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/19/2010 2:46 am
Originally Posted by: Douglas ShowalterI honestly feel Boston's first album is one of the greatest rock albums in history. I feel this for many reasons. First thing, the songs are amazing! The playing is great, the lyrics are well said, and the engineering is fantastic. Where as their albums after that are great, their first album set the bar. If you love that, everything after that is similar and their sound is very well in tact. An interesting point is that the first album along with those guitar tones were engineered and done by Tom Schultz (guitarist, songwriter) himself. He was an engineer for Polaroid back in the day and saved up money to buy the gear to record his own records. This was quite a feat in the 70's, and his ability to get great tones at that stage ON HIS OWN is nothing short of amazing. He is a true guitar and engineering genius and that first record and those thereafter are a true testament to that. He is also a remarkable human being, being an active animal rights activist and running his own charitable organizations.

Thought I would chime in on that. Cheers!

Musical genius and MIT grad...it would be so easy to hate the man...That first Boston album just simply rocked.
# 4
Carmine M
Carmine M
03/19/2010 2:48 pm
Yes! Tom Schultz' sound is great.

Regards,

cm

# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/21/2010 4:29 am
Originally Posted by: carminemarottaYes! Tom Schultz' sound is great.

I've always preferred Tom [u]Scholz[/u], myself. :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
04/19/2010 1:15 am
I think I heard that the Lead singer passed away
He left us with some good stuff though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcsVPis1iNs
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 7
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
04/19/2010 9:31 pm
He committed suicide. :(
# 8
6stringsat100mp
6stringsat100mp
04/22/2010 9:33 am
As I was reading through this (I have never visited this forum but been a member of GT for some time now) thread I started to get disappointed as I saw no mention of "The Voice" Brad Delp. Brad was a friend of mine and he was without question one of the kindest, caring and generous people anyone could ever know.
Rickblacker: You are right sir, he did take his own life! Brad was a tortured soul for the duration of his life. His giving nature and the greedy nature of so many in this world were always at war inside him and he finally gave up and set up a grill in his master bathroom one afternoon and lit it up inside. He was careful to leave notes warning those entering of the toxic vapors and was found that same day with a note written in french pinned to his chest saying in effect "I have given all I can give and I have nothing left."
Words couldn't adequately explain the actual shock and horror many of us that knew him felt when hearing the news.
I knew him from a fellow musician from New Hampshire; I was introduced years back when he had just started his pet project Beatlejuice. He always loved the Beatles and was John and Paul when he was singing their songs. You would expect to hear that Boston voice singing the tunes but nope...he sounded just like John and Paul. Coincidentally he lived a few houses down from my sister and her husband in Atkinson NH and that is where I got to know the real guy!

He was a true gentleman and an amazing talent and is sorely missed by many and not for his talent nearly as much as for the man he was.

Reagards,
Mark

[IMG]
# 9
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
06/18/2010 6:49 pm
Mark,

You're absolutely correct. In fact, I'm listening to them as I type this. Brad had an unbelievable voice. As much as the guitar work was Boston, so was Brads ability to sing as well as his voice. It is such a sad thing that we will never get to hear him again.

I was fortunate enough to get to see Boston in Virginia back in 1989 time frame.
# 10
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
06/19/2010 9:14 am
What a great band, I still remember "Smokin'" and "More Than A Feeling". I listened to their other songs too, but those were two of my faves.

Makes me want to crank the CD player, what a great band.
# 11
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/20/2010 5:01 pm
Originally Posted by: sixpickerMakes me want to crank the CD player, what a great band.

And tone... In fact paying homage to them now. :cool:

# 12
owenvaughan
owenvaughan
07/21/2010 3:49 pm
The first album wonderful - checked it out on vinyl a while back at a party and it BLEW everyrone away with the amazing tones!

Second one I havent heard in 20 years... Third Stage fabulous: got it when 16 and falling for first girlfriend so always a special record. That 94 one though seemed souless to me: maybe I should revisit it?
# 13
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
08/04/2010 4:40 pm
Originally Posted by: owenvaughanThat 94 one though seemed souless to me: maybe I should revisit it?

Are you referring to "Walk On"?

Phew... I LOVE that CD. I'd go as far as to say it's probably my favorite.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.