View post (Bedroom Syndrome?!)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
03/10/2010 1:47 am
Originally Posted by: Anders Mouridsen
3) Do you practice your licks and tricks "in time"/with rhythm? Very often people sit at home and play super fast and awesome licks, but because nobody is playing with them they aren't considering the rhythm and timing of all the great stuff they play. This means that when they go play with the band, they're either not gonna know how to make it work, or play "out of time" and sound terrible.

All of the advice was fantastic. I remember getting similar advice back in the 80's from a very wise player. He keyed on getting out and jamming with other players but more than anything, find a drummer to jam with. At first I didn't listen.

I always avoided practicing with metronomes and all that because I found it tedious. Jam with your first drummer and you feel like a fool for not taking the time to learn to playing in a rhythmic setting.

My crash -n- burn coulda been worse but it was eye opening the first time I played with a drummer. So, when I read that quoted above, I was like 'ding, ding, ding'...that's one I should have taken to heart when I first heard it.

Nice advice Anders. Thanks for the post.