Bedroom Syndrome?!

Anders Mouridsen
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Anders Mouridsen
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/09/2010 7:25 pm
Hey everybody,

When I was first starting to play in bands, I remember suffering from what I now call "The Bedroom Syndrome". This means that when you play at home you feel like the uncrowned king of the guitar world, but then when you go play with your band, nothing is coming out right. Here are some of the main reasons this happens:

1) Do you wear your guitar strap, when you practice? Very often people will sit at home and develop killer chops, while crouching over the guitar. When you play live you most often stand up and the guitar hangs differently, which can make it almost impossible to recreate your awesomeness from the bedroom.

2) Do you ever practice at loud volumes?
Your amp reacts differently when it's turned up. The louder it gets the more your tone will be "compressed", which means that the soft things you play feel too loud and the loud things you play feel "squashed". This can easily freak you out, and change your playing completely.

Also, your distortion pedals might have a tendency to feed back, which will cause you to not leave any space in your playing and probably overplay.

3) Do you practice your licks and tricks "in time"/with rhythm? Very often people sit at home and play super fast and awesome licks, but because nobody is playing with them they aren't considering the rhythm and timing of all the great stuff they play. This means that when they go play with the band, they're either not gonna know how to make it work, or play "out of time" and sound terrible.

4) Don't beat yourself up when you're playing live!!
Another crucial thing to learn is to develop two different mind sets. You need a mind set that is extremely hard on yourself and focus on all the things that aren't happening in your playing, and use that when you're at home practicing.

Then you need another mind set, which is much more relaxed and fun, and you'll need this anytime you're playing with or for other people. If you hit a wrong note, forget about it- It's gone! [U]Just have fun![/U] No matter how important/nerve wrecking/career breaking a musical situation might be, NOTHING will be better from you being nervous while you play or you beating yourself up. The best advice I ever got was "Just go have fun, man". I wanna frame it and put it over my bed:)

Your ability to switch between these two mind sets will make a world of difference! It will drastically improve your playing because you can be really hard on yourself, without taking away your ability to have fun and perform. In the long run, this will mean that you'll get so much more joy out of playing music!
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/09/2010 7:42 pm
Great advice!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/10/2010 12:43 am
Agreed. More things like this should be on this forum. Solid, real world advice from real world players. Super duper! :)
Douglas Showalter
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/10/2010 1:47 am
Originally Posted by: Anders Mouridsen
3) Do you practice your licks and tricks "in time"/with rhythm? Very often people sit at home and play super fast and awesome licks, but because nobody is playing with them they aren't considering the rhythm and timing of all the great stuff they play. This means that when they go play with the band, they're either not gonna know how to make it work, or play "out of time" and sound terrible.

All of the advice was fantastic. I remember getting similar advice back in the 80's from a very wise player. He keyed on getting out and jamming with other players but more than anything, find a drummer to jam with. At first I didn't listen.

I always avoided practicing with metronomes and all that because I found it tedious. Jam with your first drummer and you feel like a fool for not taking the time to learn to playing in a rhythmic setting.

My crash -n- burn coulda been worse but it was eye opening the first time I played with a drummer. So, when I read that quoted above, I was like 'ding, ding, ding'...that's one I should have taken to heart when I first heard it.

Nice advice Anders. Thanks for the post.
# 4
Ben_Fussel
Ben_Fussel
03/11/2010 8:02 pm
That's good advice, I've had to unlearn many of those bad habits over the years. When I first started playing, I'd play a show, feel awful afterwards and hide in my room for another 6 months to year learning a song that would blow peoples' minds. It never did...there was only incremental improvements, and sometimes things got worse. It takes a long time to hammer out these issues.
# 5
jpot
jpot
03/15/2010 4:04 am
These 4 pieces of wisdom are so true and relate to me directly at the moment . especially the last point about not beating yourself up for not bieng perfect and relaxing a bit more ..it is supposed to be fun .
# 6
ismoll
ismoll
03/16/2010 7:57 am
Hey Anders,
you are really good. once open a time I was playing some songs. but I really started to play now and learned many things from you and GT instructors. your style and sound are very clean and clear.
thanks for your good advices. I hope one day I will play in a band.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.