Damn it, I did it

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/07/2010 2:07 am
The thing I swore I'd never do. For two reasons: scale and hype, and yet... and YET! I am now the owner of a USA Fender Stratocaster. I'm going to hell!!!

No need to read further but...

I had recently purchased a Dean Soltero. (Love it!!!) This put my playable inventory into the double digits again, so it was time for one to go. A heartbreaking decision! So, I decided it had to be my Italia Speedster. Damn I loved that guitar. Such awesome tone... Really, really, cool paint job. But - and let this be a lesson to all you newbs like me - the body shape put the strap button down over the 20'th fret.

I never noticed until I put it on a strap, but it moves the whole fingerboard away from me by at least a key. Now say I am nuts or whatever, but compare to a Strat (button over 12/13th) or a Les Paul (over the 15/16th) and than hang one from the 20th over your neck and let me know. Something to consider for you shredders looking at that Dean Razorback. ;)

In truth, I actually started getting used to that over time, but I was also having a bit of a problem with the colour, so it became the prime candidate for culling.

There is a picture of a Fender Stratocaster on the cover of one of my guitar repair books. I am somehow drawn to that pic every time it is in view. Something classic, iconic! Well, when I put the Speedster in my buddy's guitar store on au gratis consignment, I saw this Stratocaster in tobacco sunburst. Damn it.

I have previously ruled out ever getting a Fender Strat, let alone a USA one. But I had recently given my Squier to my dad, and now I had a bare space on the wall here the Speedster was. And my friend made an offer I couldn't refuse. And I somehow feel complete now. I think it just had to be.

I guess me and Stratocastina have a few more dances to do :D
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/07/2010 2:24 am
Originally Posted by: RazboThe thing I swore I'd never do. For two reasons: scale and hype, and yet... and YET! I am now the owner of a USA Fender Stratocaster. I'm going to hell!!!

No need to read further but...

I had recently purchased a Dean Soltero. (Love it!!!) This put my playable inventory into the double digits again, so it was time for one to go. A heartbreaking decision! So, I decided it had to be my Italia Speedster. Damn I loved that guitar. Such awesome tone... Really, really, cool paint job. But - and let this be a lesson to all you newbs like me - the body shape put the strap button down over the 20'th fret.

I never noticed until I put it on a strap, but it moves the whole fingerboard away from me by at least a key. Now say I am nuts or whatever, but compare to a Strat (button over 12/13th) or a Les Paul (over the 15/16th) and than hang one from the 20th over your neck and let me know. Something to consider for you shredders looking at that Dean Razorback. ;)

In truth, I actually started getting used to that over time, but I was also having a bit of a problem with the colour, so it became the prime candidate for culling.

There is a picture of a Fender Stratocaster on the cover of one of my guitar repair books. I am somehow drawn to that pic every time it is in view. Something classic, iconic! Well, when I put the Speedster in my buddy's guitar store on au gratis consignment, I saw this Stratocaster in tobacco sunburst. Damn it.

I have previously ruled out ever getting a Fender Strat, let alone a USA one. But I had recently given my Squier to my dad, and now I had a bare space on the wall here the Speedster was. And my friend made an offer I couldn't refuse. And I somehow feel complete now. I think it just had to be.

I guess me and Stratocastina have a few more dances to do :D

Welcome to the club.

I was never..and I mean never a Start person. Yet, I have a Fender Strat and love it. Like you, I need variety (but have not gone nuts on the acquisition syndrome...yet). I used to think they had a 'weak' sound but age has made me realize that they are one of the best sounding uinstruments to give texture to tone.

I think of a guitar with Humbuckers/Gibby's as more full throttle guitars in rock and Strats as finesses.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/12/2010 5:16 pm
I like long scale (25 1/2").

Ilike single coil pickups.

But the Strats, Jazzmaster and Jaguar guitars I've owned never felt really comfortable. So I went looking for a guitar like the one I bought shortly after I got started. A Yamaha SG-2. I found a beater on eBay. When I asked around for parts to fix it up with, I found a fairly unmolested one in a pawn shop. So I have two of them now. And an SG-3 as well.

I won't be back for a Brand F.

But I can understand.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.