Tuning for your Vintage Trem

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/10/2010 8:50 pm
This is a pretty impressive vid that might be of interest to any vintage trem users that have trouble staying in tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Oyc6slYRc
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/11/2010 1:14 am
Originally Posted by: RazboThis is a pretty impressive vid that might be of interest to any vintage trem users that have trouble staying in tune

It is a good list of the standard and simple techniques that can help keep a standard Fender vibrato in tune. The windings at the tuner need to be clean and tight, the strings need to have all slack removed, the string tree not apply too much friction. I personally have graphite nuts on both my strats. That helps a lot, too.

Further, I've noticed the B & G strings do get caught & hung up a lot no matter what. The guy in the vid hits the bar and pulls them back up. I've also had success giving the strings themselves a quick pull. That does the same thing.

After a while they fall out of tune no matter what. Strings get dirty, worn out, etc. But I can't stand the feel and sound of the "boingy" locking vibratos, so I just deal with the standard unit. :)

Thanks for linking the vid!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.