View post (Diary of a Sick Mind -- Effects Pedals)

View thread

ksturgeon
ksturgeon
02/02/2010 3:35 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboOne little thing you can do with a multi-ped that you can't with separate boxes is have an instant switch for a group of effects. Lets say you are doing an intro that's clean with some nice chorus & reverb, then you want to switch to to some OD effect with compression. It's hard to do that in the space of a beat with multiple boxes to press (unless there is some trick I don't yet know). With the Digitech, I can set up effects groups side by side, so I can get instant switching like that.

Hey Razbo, I'm glad you pointed that out. It's an ability of the multi-effects units that I read about but I guess I never really considered just how convenient that capability really is.

The only thing that I'm absolutely sure of at this point is that I'm going to get a floor model multi-effects unit, so while I still have a lot to consider, at least I'm starting to narrow my choices. If I go with the digitech I'm hovering between the RP355 or the RP500. If I choose the POD, I think I've narrowed it down to the floor pod plus. The additional bells and whistles of the more expensive models would definitely be nice but I have to be realistic and recognize that I won't use most of the features anyway. With either of those that I've zero'd in on I'd be spending under $200.

I also just happened to notice the Boss ME-70. There are a lot more knobs on it but all in all, the way they are segregated it looks like it'd be easier to understand. It runs $300 but I get the impression it doesn't offer near the effects of the others we've been discussing.

The really cool thing is that Valentine's day is just around the corner and I'm thinking I can squeeze this one through pretty quickly. :)

Thanks again for all the info. I really do appreciate the opportunity to hear from experienced guitarists.
Ken Sturgeon
-------------
[SIZE="1"]Taylor 114ce
Gretsch G5120
[/SIZE]