Order in the Loop

DiscoSamurai
DiscoSamurai
01/17/2002 8:07 pm
Hiya

I'm looking for some advice on looping my effects together. At the moment I just use a Boss DS2 for distortion and a Boss Blues Drive (for heavy grunge and for blues/solo work respectively) I've recently won a Boss Flanger and a Small Clone chorus pedal very cheaply off Ebay and I was looking for some advice on what would be the best order to link these effects?
I have heard differing opinions about putting the flanger before or after the distortion pedal for the best distorted/flanged effect.

Any ideas anyone?

Neal
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
01/18/2002 6:50 am

I've always heard that chorus and flanger pedals should go after distortion.

I don't know why, that's just what I've heard. So take it at a grain of salt.
# 2
Bardsley
Bardsley
01/23/2002 12:27 pm
Aaargh, I feel like I've abandoned my forum!
Christoph is right, and here is the reason, briefly:
To put it simply, distortion takes your guitar and affects its tone; it simply changes how your guitar sounds. Chorus, flanger, delay, etc do more than this, they also play with the the time at which your guitar signal gets passed to the amp. To create chorus and flange effects, the signal from the guitar is split, so that part of it goes through to the amp (depending generally on how much you set the level nob to; all the way to the left is normally completely pure guitar, and right just the effect altered sound) and part of it is delayed slightly, then modified. You will have noticed that the more notes you play at one time, the more distortion you get, as the signals mix with one another. If you put a time-based effect like a flanger before a distorion unit, you are basically sending twice (or more) the amount of notes into it, thereby creating heaps more distortion. You might think that this is good, and sometimes it can be, but it is hard to control, and generally muddies up the sound. If you put the time-based effects after your distortion effects however, it is the distorted signal that is altered, and, assuming you go to a clean amp, no more distorion occurs. I hoope this helps, and if you need any more explanation, I'll be happy to help. I mean, that's what I'm here for and all, he he.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 3
DiscoSamurai
DiscoSamurai
02/01/2002 6:23 pm
Thanks for the help Bardsley!
You explained that very well mate :)

Neal
# 4
Bardsley
Bardsley
02/02/2002 3:23 am
Glad to help. Remember, however, that these are just rules of thumb, and you can come up some pretty cool sound sby breaking these rules. Ever ran a wah pedal backwards? Very funny noises come out ; not exactly versatile, but can be fun in (extremely) specific circumstances. Running several versions of the same effect at different parts in the cahin (especially time based) can sound cool, but also expensive and not all that useful. Keep on experimenting until you sget something that you like, then become a guitar god.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.