View post (Opinion on Demo Mix)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
11/01/2009 11:14 pm
Ok, been futzing around with Garageband and here's something I've been tinkering with for a bit. It's a short demo, only 40ish seconds.

It actually started from the guitar riff. I was sitting and noodling and thought the riff was decent enough and recorded it on its own (no click track). As you'll hear, instruments were added. Key here is...this is a lesson in trying to make some started bassakwards actually work...Seems I have adequate 'internal' timing since it doesn't seem terribly off.

So, the only actually instrument 'played' was the guitar: Gibson ES333 with 490's. Through Amplitube Live's Mega Gain amp setting as well as adding GB's Marshall with an OD. I have 5 channels of guitar (2 Ampli stereo'd, 2 GB Marshalls stereo's and 1 Ampli centered with a low mix). It was tuned in drop D.

Other instrumentation: GB Musical typing...yep...punching the letters. Bass has two channels stereo. Drums have: 3 channels w/ two lower bass drums panned wide and one 'snap' bass in the center. Snare is three channels with essentially the same idea as the bass drum. Hi hat is what it is...

Given the circumstances, I think it's alright since it was not on a metronome and still has a groove...

Anyway, hows the mix? meant to be a bit 'crushing' at an attempt to be kind of massive sounding. It's Garageband so there are limitations but wanted to see if I was in the neighborhood

Click:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8295667