View post (Looking at amps)

View thread

Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
10/11/2009 8:16 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65I'd be willing to guess that, like me, you've played not only the modest rigs but have trailed a few higher end rigs too and even when you dial in something pretty amazing, you still find yourself going 'hmmm...close but there's just something a little more I need to tweak.' Being a tone monkey is to understand that you will live a life of knob twiddling.

Tone is like crack for guitarists: You chase that thing that you will never actually get; the ultimate.

Lol yea you are correct. I have tried, borrowed and owned/own hundreds of amps over the years everything from multi thousand dollar units down to the 50 dollar battery powered ones looking for "that sound" It has always ended up being a tube amp, Vox, Marshall, and a few Fenders, REALLY dont like any of the all digital ones like the line6, ravens, etc. But Marshall makes a new hybrid tube amp with built in digital effects that sounds very good, the Haze.

But yes us tine freaks are doomed to a life of tweeking, moding, pedal swapping, amp changing, pickup/pot swaps, etc. But this little Vox sounds great with my Strat and SG, a Tube screamer pedal and the volume at 7 is as close to perfect as i can get for a rig under 500 bucks.

Happy playing!