View post (Looking at amps)

View thread

Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
10/10/2009 9:43 pm
I have a Spider Jam. I wrote a review on it on the gear review section of this forum.

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29726

A few things I will say about it however are, it does have a ton of features, effects, models, jam track, recording etc. It is a good tool for practicing, learning, and working on your licks. BUT, personally, I am a tone snob. I am really picky about tone and tonal quality. I am quite partial to the old fashon sounds of tube amps and analog effects. For me the Spider Jam is too "digitaly" sounding. You dont get the true tone of your guitar and all the subtle nuances of your style and technique. I use it for the jam track and drum machine feature to keep time while i am practicing, bit when I play for pleasure or with others, I wont use it. The tone doesnt cut the mustard for me and my style. I play blues, rock and classic rock, and all that digital hoopla doesnt fit. It may sound great for shredheads that play at high gain/distortion levels and arent to concerned with dinamics and subtle response. I would never use it at a gig. The 75 watts is pretty loud, but I have to say I have heared 20watt tube amps that sound actually louder and fuller.

I also have a Vox AC4tv. It is a small tube amp with a 10 inch speaker. It is very simple, volume, tone dials only. It has a built in attenuator which allows you to cut the output from 4 watts, to 1 watt, and even 1/4 watt. This allows you to crank the volume for the "high volume tube overdrive" (Think Angus Young) without ear bleeding volume. At 4 watts is plenty enough for me to be heard with another guitarist, bassist and even a drummer. I am 110% happy with the Vox amp it fits me, my style, and small home perfectly. If you are into blues playing, which i think you mentioned, this will be something you should check out. It was 230.00 if i recall. Bottom line, play every amp in your target range (price, size, valve, tube, digital) and get one just right for you.