View post (Starting to get there)

View thread

Bruce J
Bruce J
10/05/2009 6:16 pm
I've been playing since the start of the year (brand new beginner, age 53) and I finally feel like I'm making some decent progress. Thanks for the comments in the forum and the lessons about "just hanging in there" because some of the stuff that seemed impossible at first is becoming playable, if not really sounding great yet.

Barre cords for example. I'm still just barely managing some shifts from the E to A based chords in (slow) time, but they're not sounding horrible. When I first started trying them several months ago, it was a joke.

My hand strength and flexibility have come a long way and that's probably the best part. At first I just laughed at the fret 2,4,6 stretch required for a blues shuffle in E. I had to literally pull my fingers apart to even try it, and then I couldn't hold it. Now I can do it "okay" most of the time even though I have to make some faces. I also don't get the cramping in the base of my thumb or forearm that I would get before, particularly with barre chords.

I need to put some more discipline into my practice time, but now that I'm starting to see some more meaningful progress, I think that will be a little easier too.

Just wanted to be another voice out there saying "stick with it" because it does get easier!

Bruce