View post (Just can't decide on pickups and need help)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/30/2009 6:35 pm
I have a pair of 1984 Yamaha SBG1000 guitars that I have put DiMarzio pups in. The guitars are all mahogany, except for the maple tops. Picture an LP with cutaways on both sides of the neck.

The stock pups sounded good, but I wanted a bit more output, so I put a DiMarzio SCHB (DP-106) at the neck, and a Dual Sound (DP-101) at the bridge. Classic Rock sound. Not muddy at all, but definitely 'thick', classic, humbucker tone.

I like this axe so much, that a few years ago I bought another one just like it on eBay. Same story with the stock pups. They actually sound better than what Gibson was offering in 1984, but I wanted this axe to have a little more 'bite' than stock, or the other modified SBG1000. I settled on a PAF Pro at the neck, and a Tone Zone at the bridge. No 'mud' on this axe, at all! Very distinct separation of the notes in a chord, very sensitive to pick attack, mid-rangey bite when clean, and chords don't blurr when the amp is being pushed hard. Expressive. Nowhere to hide if you get sloppy, but just the thing to bring out your best if you're on your game.

Pots: Humbuckers need fairly high values, or the treble gets lost. 500k or 1 Meg for the Volume pot, and 1 Meg for the Tone pot.

Active pups have a preamp built in to the guitar, so the control values don't affect the tone as much. 25k and 100k are readily available. The high values needed for passive pickups (500k & 1 Meg for HB; 250k for single-coil) are not used in most transistor-based equipment. Low volume demand means that the manufacturers don't make a lot of them.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons