View post (How are your fretting finger tips right now?)

View thread

fieldho
fieldho
08/28/2009 4:07 am
Great advice from all. Keep in mind, as you first start playing, your fingers are generally weak, even those with strong hands may not be accustom to the different movements that guitar fretting will require. As you become accustom to these movements, your strength, in your fingers will morph into a more appropriate configuration. The many muscles that make up your hands are constantly changing trying to conform to the required movements of playing.
As you progress with your playing abilities, the required movements change and adapt. The skin of your finger tips is the same way. As you improve, your able to apply more pressure to the strings thereby increasing or changing the requirements of your skin to thicken. After 30 years of playing, my finger tips are constant, not to stiff, not callused, I can see some dulling of my finger prints on the tips, but other than that they look normal.
With all this said, as you become more experienced with playing your choice of instruments will also improve. When I first started, I played anything I could get my hands on, now, it's about the same but my choice of strings and a learned ability to set up my guitars, allows me to adjust my action to better suit my needs. You can save yourself a lot of agony and time, when starting out, if you'll let a pro luthier help you with your set up. And always remember,
SOMETIMES A CHEAP GUITAR IS JUST A CHEAP GUITAR, but there are many inexpensive guitars that are manageable.