Thumbs Up

SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
08/14/2009 8:46 pm
I've finally decided to try and put right a long-standing bad habit I have.

I'm returning to guitar and while working through fundamentals 1 & 2 I mostly ignored all the emphasis on fretting hand position when playing chords!

This was because I thought my bad habit of gripping the neck with my palm (particularly with open chords C, F and D) was too ingrained in me to change. I was being instructed to use my "opposable thumb" as Chris pointed out!

When I found the spider finger exercises I discovered correct hand position came easier - as Lisa says, it's hard to have your hand in the wrong position when doing them.

When I arrived at Rock Course 1 and started practising barre chords I also found that correct hand position sort of came naturally (albeit hard to do repetitively when my palm had been doing all the work on some open chords and taking the strain on behalf of my thumb!) But I was starting to get frustrated when switching between barre and open chords once I'd realised my arm was having to move far too much instead of mainly my fingers doing the work.

So, I'm backtracking and trying to concentrate on getting my thumb where it should be on open chords i.e. opposite somewhere between my 1st & 2nd fingers. It's going to take a while to correct such an old bad habit or at least make it better but I think it'll pay off in the long run.

My message to new players is - Guitar Instructors here know how to teach the right technique all you've got to do is listen to them and follow what they tell you!! It'll save you a lot of time later.....

So it's back to the drawing board for me! Thanks Chris & Lisa.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 1
mindwarper
mindwarper
08/24/2009 8:19 am
Agreed, I had the exact same situation with string bends - I decided I can bend them without the proper support like it is taught here, until I read that this can lead to the loss of the fingernail if the string comes back under the nail. It's always best to give the technique they are teaching a fair try at the very least. Though I have to admit my thumb moves all over the place when I'm playing, but I do use it to hold the 6th string every now and again, e.g. on the root 6 minor 9 chord, so that's probably why.
# 2
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
09/15/2009 8:05 am
Update -

Interesting that you say your thumb moves all over the place mindwarper. I've come to realise that it's fairly normal. From another thread (on the right hand pinky) I saw this video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgCt5fcFOog

and it illustrates that the thumb can be pretty mobile and playing isn't adversely affected.

After me focussing on it my thumb position has 'improved' as I'm now able to see the advantages of good technique but also that practical considerations come into play like what's comfortable for me. Now I can accept that my thumb position might not be 'correct' but at least I've looked at it and improved things.

Time now for me to move on and concentrate on making progress through the lessons....
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.