Daw?

johntyler1228
johntyler1228
07/21/2009 9:49 pm
I am a seasoned 4 track home recorder looking to upgrade system in favor of something a little more versatile. Especially, I don't know much about DAW recording but it sounds pretty good. I would like to learn
1. what types of software you need.
2. what type of computer hardware you need to install on pc.
3. what additional types of recording or interface hardware do you need
4. also where is a good place to learn more about recording in general?

Basically to learn enough about what i'm doing before putting myself at the mercy of a salesperson.

Any thoughts?
# 1
Jason_Dionne
Jason_Dionne
07/22/2009 8:34 pm
I'm not familliar with DAW, but what about ProTools?
# 2
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
07/25/2009 1:02 am
Software:

There is a good free program you can start out with called Audacity.

It is open source and totally free, working like a software based multitrack.

You can use that and google for "audacity tutorials" to learn what it does.

This will get your education going, with zero investment.

Hardware:

This is a hard topic, there are many choices. I really like this review site:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

The style is a little silly, but the "for noobs" link on that page takes you to some simple choices, and the rest of the site has more high end gear being reviewed.

Have fun!

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
equator
equator
07/25/2009 6:25 pm
A very good DAW is Reaper.
It does the same things you would expect from Pro tools or Cubase.
This is more advanced than Audacity.
Try it for free and if you like it buy it or donate.
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php

Hardware:
All you need to start off is an USB sound interface.
(You can find inexpansive ones on ebay)

After you get used to recording with this setup, you can upgrade to a more powerful computer, interface with plentty of ins and outs, monitors, screens, etc.

But the way, Reaper accepts most VST and VSTI plugings, whereas Audacity is very limmited on that regard.

Good luck :)
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 4
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/29/2009 1:03 am
DAW means "Digital Audio Workstation." It pretty much means any program that you use to record on your computer. This being Pro-Tools, Logic, Cubase, etc.

I use Logic Pro and find it to work great for me. However, I firmly believe that it is how you work with what you have. I have seen people with very limited resources make great recordings. I would say whatever you use, learn it to your best extent and don't get caught up in having a million plug ins and instruments and so forth. Get something, and really work with it. Logic is inexpensive and VERY user friendly. Pro-Tools is the industry standard. Whatever you get, make great music with it!
Douglas Showalter
# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
02/10/2023 4:00 pm

For more, see  https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-a-daw

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
matonanjin
matonanjin
02/10/2023 4:35 pm
#0 Originally Posted by: equator
A very good DAW is Reaper.
It does the same things you would expect from Pro tools or Cubase.
This is more advanced than Audacity.
Try it for free and if you like it buy it or donate.
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php

Hardware:
All you need to start off is an USB sound interface.
(You can find inexpansive ones on ebay)

After you get used to recording with this setup, you can upgrade to a more powerful computer, interface with plentty of ins and outs, monitors, screens, etc.

But the way, Reaper accepts most VST and VSTI plugings, whereas Audacity is very limmited on that regard.

Good luck :)

"But the way, Reaper accepts most VST and VSTI plugings, whereas Audacity is very limmited on that regard."

True.  But Audacity does a much better job of stealing and selling your pesonal data!  😏😆

Reaper is, as equator stated a very good DAW.  There may be better, more powerful ones.  There probably are.  No, I'm sure there are more powerful ones.  

But! 

1) For 98.7% of the requirements of us newbies getting started with digital recording, Reaper will serve.

2) A more powerful DAW, to fulfill that 1.3% of the stuff that we will never need, is going to cost multiples of what Reaper costs.  I think Reaper now costs something like $60.  It is embarrasingly cheap compared to the more powerful ones.  Not only that, you don't need to pay for it until you have tried it!  I can't remember how long the trial is.  3 months?

3) Any DAW is going to have a huge learning curve.  Reaper is no different.  But Reaper has hundreds of teaching videos on their website.  And, Reaper has a really friendly, helpful forum, also on their site, that will help you with any question you have.  They even have a subforum caalled "Newbieland", the purpose of which is self-evident.  They have cheerfully answerred many of my very dumb questions.

It will be very difficult to go wrong with Reaper.

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.