New Guitar Purchase - Ibanez RG-350EX

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
05/30/2009 9:46 am
Bought a new guitar today.. It's an Ibanez RG350EX. Sadly it is not a Prestige model because they have jumped in price by about $1500 since about 2 years ago when I last checked the Ibanez range out. Can blame that on the global economy at the moment.

In any case, it is still an Ibanez and still sounds and feels very different from my trusty old strat-copy. It's also the first major guitar-related purchase I have made for many years. The RG350EX is as close to the Prestige model I was looking at without being overly pricey.

You can see the official Ibanez page here:
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG350EX

However, mine is a different colour as you can see in these pictures:

Hehe.. :)
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/30/2009 9:57 am
Like the maple fretboard! My Prestige, jem and Universe all have rosewood but I do prefer the look of the maple. Good luck with the new axe;-)
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/30/2009 10:49 am
Nice. Very nice.

Strangely, I love playing Ibanez' but have never bought one. I don't know that I've ever played one (other than the original 2x4 necked Destroyer) that I didn't like.

Enjoy!
# 3
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
05/31/2009 7:05 pm
Beautiful man. Looks real nice.
I stay in the dog house its easier that way...
# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
06/05/2009 7:42 am
Hrmm.. so I've had it a week and I am still getting used to it. I have some questions that some Ibanez owners might be able to answer:

1. How tight do I clamp the locking nuts down? Just enough that they are not moving around, or should I give it a really good tightening?

2. Do you find it hard to get the guitar into tune the first time you pick it up and have to retune it every time you pick it up on a new day? (obviously guitars go out of tune but I feel like I am tuning the guitar a lot more than I should be..).

3. To get the best Satch/Vai tones while recording, do I really need to have a speaker/amp with mic setup? Or is there a way to get a direct record setup working where there is no sound coming out of speakers to annoy the neighbours?

Is there some kind of setup and maintenance guide for Ibanez guitars that you know of and recommend?
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/05/2009 12:27 pm
This might help.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

I stumbled upon it looking for FR info.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 6
Gvin
Gvin
06/09/2009 4:51 pm
You have to tune your new guitar too often because your strings are also new.
Be patient - and after a week (or maybe more) strings will get in their usual condition and you will tune your beautiful guitar more rarely :)

Good luck!
tabtown.com - here I find tabs
klimka.com - here I live :)
# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/09/2009 10:32 pm
Originally Posted by: GvinYou have to tune your new guitar too often because your strings are also new.
Be patient - and after a week (or maybe more) strings will get in their usual condition and you will tune your beautiful guitar more rarely :)

Good luck!

An old guitar tech/roadie trick that I got from, well, A tech...when you have new strings, give them some tugs (pull them away from the neck). Obviously be careful not to pull the string so much as to break it. However, by giving them some tugs, you are doing what tension will do over a longer period of time. Gotta make sure the guitar is well set up and you don't have any burrs on the saddles/nut. After that; tune, tug, tune, tug etc. I usually did this about three times when I replaced strings. Remember that pro bands on the road don't have days or hours to wait for strings to find their slack. It's tricks like these that keep guitars in tune with new strings. I'm sure this is not nearly the only technique but I found it useful.

BTW...I'd read about boiling strings and it's bunk mostly. I found all you get is really warm strings and another pot to wash.
# 8
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/10/2009 11:38 am
Originally Posted by: JeffS65
BTW...I'd read about boiling strings and it's bunk mostly. I found all you get is really warm strings and another pot to wash.

I'd heard of this as a method to squeeze another nights play out of dead strings. Never tried it myself, but a friend said it did give a very brief rejuvenation.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 9
noblezada
noblezada
06/11/2009 7:38 pm
I Just got an RG about a month or so ago... with the Edge 3 as well.

It takes a few days to lock in with super slinky strings, but maybe longer with a standard string.

Once you're locked in though, it's a great trem! I can crank it for hours, and I'm still in tune!

Have fun...

OH, question for you... can you adjust the angle of the trem? Is that what that hole in the back of the guitar is?
# 10
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
06/11/2009 7:49 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65An old guitar tech/roadie trick that I got from, well, A tech...when you have new strings, give them some tugs (pull them away from the neck). Obviously be careful not to pull the string so much as to break it. However, by giving them some tugs, you are doing what tension will do over a longer period of time. Gotta make sure the guitar is well set up and you don't have any burrs on the saddles/nut. After that; tune, tug, tune, tug etc. I usually did this about three times when I replaced strings. Remember that pro bands on the road don't have days or hours to wait for strings to find their slack. It's tricks like these that keep guitars in tune with new strings. I'm sure this is not nearly the only technique but I found it useful.

String Stretching should be a normal part of your stringing process.

I stretch my strings at the 12th fret by pulling away as part of my standard stringing process, and my guitar will stay in tune very quickly(Usually after a few hours). The trick is you have to do it a couple of times. String it up to pitch, stretch at 12th fret, string to pitch again,and leave a few hours, and then repeat. Keep in mind it will be the higher strings(smaller) that stretch more.
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.