View post (Replacing Pickups help needed)

View thread

DiscoSamurai
DiscoSamurai
01/04/2002 7:39 pm
Hello all
Even though I'm lucky enough to own a couple of decent guitars I've always had a special place in my heart for my first guitar Squire Strat (yeah I know most people think they suck etc) I think its an affinity series one so it feels a bit nicer than the tea chest wood ones they make at the moment. Basically I was considering replacing the pickups on it so I'll be able to use it again (not for gigging just for doodling with). However I've never done this before so I have a few questions.

1) I play mainly punk/rock and occasionally blues music, can anyone recommend a good set of pickups that dont cost the earth!
2) How difficult is it to change pickups? I'm happy with soldering and I've had my guitar apart a few times to nosy around. Should it prove to difficult?
3) If I replaced the bridge pickup with a humbucker is this any more difficult that replacing it with a single coil pickup (electronics wise) and will I need to buy a new pickguard to seat it, or can I somehow widen the hole?

Hope someone can help me with this, I'd like to be able to play my first born again :)

Ta

Neal