View post (Live vs. Web lessons)

View thread

sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
04/22/2009 9:08 am
Hey Bruce,
I think the web lessons are better, for one you don't have to worry about a schedule. You can learn at your own pace, and if there is something you want to go back to it's much easier to just click on it.

Most guitar teachers that give personal lessons, are quite expensive. I'm not saying all of them, but some can be dishonest with their teaching. I'm not sure how it is now, but a guitar lesson used to last 30 minutes. The price range for this was between 25-45 dollars, depending who the teacher was. I never felt that you could learn, and retain something in such a short period. I always give at least a 1 hour lesson, and cover the basics first.

They also used to teach you a song a week, but not let you know how you could apply it to other songs. I tried to teach lessons out of a music store once, but they wanted me to slow down the process. They wanted it to take a student longer to learn to play, and slowly show them how it all goes together. I'd say the average weekly student stayed at the beginner level for close to a year, and my method had them playing rhythm in 6 months. I tried that for a week, and then quit because I felt the students should be learning more.

It's really up to you, but I would prefer this to a teacher that wants to charge alot, and teach a little. If you go with the live teacher, make sure you ask them how long the lessons are, and what you'll be learning. Ask them for a lesson plan, and make sure they plan to teach what you hope to learn.

I'm probably a bit biased because of the way that things turned out at the store where I tried to teach, but I'll cast my vote for the GT lessons. Once again I'm not saying that all teachers will do the same thing they wanted me to do, but I'm sure there are some that would take advantage of someone who wants to learn to play, and keep them coming back for as long as they can. The choice is yours, but make sure you get what you pay for.

JD