View post (Shy about performing - but not what you'd expect)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/15/2009 8:45 pm
Originally Posted by: gary_g5I have a problem with playing my music in front of a few people. I have no problem playing in front of huge crowds though...

... Why is that?[/quote]
I've met a couple of other people like this. I think it is a boundry issue. When you are on stage or the explicit focus of attention, as in "the reason per se" for focus, there is a very clear boundry drawn between you, the performer and everyone else, the audience.

This is a very formal relationship with clearly drawn categories, lines, limits; boundries.

When you are in a less than formal situation, as you describe in your home or with your kids, the nature of the relationship is dramatically different. You are not the formal performer who has his own space that is demarcated and explicitly segregated, removed from the audience who must keep their respectful distance.

Instead, it's a casual demand made on the spot, "Oh yeah, play something while I sit here on the couch next to you and listen." Or, "Entertain the kids right now with a simple melody."

So, not only are the clear identity designations absent, but you are also "playing on demand". As opposed to a respectful audience that defers to your choice or the set program piece(s).

I respectfully suggest that it is entirely within your rights to refuse anyone a performance on demand. However, you might want to at least show your kids what you can do. :)
[QUOTE=gary_g5]Am I the only person who have trouble sharing music in an intimate setting but is completely fearless on stage?

No. I don't have any problems with either situation. I'll play anywhere, anytime. But I have flatly refused in situations when people disrespectfully suggest that I should "play something" for them on demand. Especially if it's something, or for someone I don't like. :p
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory