View post (Practicing...)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/31/2009 1:55 pm
Just my suggestions from the years I've played...

First, don't skip the theory like I did. I wanted to be one of those cool 'I never took a lesson' dudes. I got good but always had to overcome the lack of knowledge. I did that pretty well and got pretty despite my absence of knowledge but see in hindsight that I was being an idiot. Even though I even taught on the side a long time ago, I was only giving very beginner stuff (ie songs, chords and pentatonic) and technical skill.

My thought on structuring. Each session should be broken in to (in order):

1. Physical Technique
Spend time getting your fingers to do what you want. Whether it fretting chords or scales, Spend time walking through your physical challenges building the physical skill up to speed.

2. Work on a 'Theory' Lesson.
Say for instance you were working on the lesson for chord/scale relationship. Take time to really work though playing what you learned and hearing the result from your fingers. Your mind may get what you see but it's not really anything until it comes from your hand. You should, I think, chunk out a path of theory lessons. You don;t have to achieve them in a time frame so much. It isn't a race. Keep on working on a theory lesson even over multiple sessions until it is a part of what you play and know. The idea is to have as part of your general knowledge so that it comes back out when you play in a natural manner. I think it's far better to be slow and methodical and 'get it down' before you go on to the next thing. Although I applied it to physical technique back when and I could, as they say, shred...I would spend very focused time to get something down even if it was a short lead run that was hard. That kind of focus on getting it makes it part of what you play. You may have to take some time to go through the GT lessons and make a roadmap of what order you'd need to learn them. Although, if you start here: http://www.guitartricks.com/category.php?input=theory ...and follow the order of them, that's a pretty good path.

3. Play something fun
Let face it, if it's all 'nose to the grindstone', what fun us that? Take some time in a lesson to learn something fun like an artist lick you always wanted to play. For that matter, if you have enough noodling material in your repetiore, just let it loose. That was usually how I ended practicing. Just unloading. By the time I had practiced on other stuff, I was pretty warmed up and since I got to the point where I was a solid player, I'd just unload me a barrage of noodle-palooza. Just because it was fun to see what I could do. Basically though, just a take a little time for yourself to fart around and give yourself a good pat on the back.