View post (Funky Jazz Style)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/18/2009 2:41 pm
Originally Posted by: light487The best way to explain what I am talking about is to reference some music so you can hear the style I am interested in. I have always been more into funky rhythm playing than solo guitar and on this youtube video you will hear the funky guitar lick right at the start.. he starts playing it at around 0:12 and it just continues throughout the whole piece. I'm sure there's more to it than just the notes.. there's also the tone he has.. a really twangy sound and possibly a bit of delay? I don't know.. which is why I am asking for any tips or pointers on getting a groove of my own.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE

Feel free to post general comments about the song in general too :p This is a classic! :)

A couple of songs I like to 'groove' on are ZZ Top's 'Just Got Paid', Rare Earth's 'Celebrate' and PFunk's 'Give Up the Funk' (ok, it's more of a bass groove but still...). I just love those kind of riffs that kind of rotate throughout a songs that, like coming out of a chorus, that grooving riff resolves the end of the chorus. It just has that swing to it.