View post (hand exercises while not able to be with my guitar)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/20/2008 2:04 am
Originally Posted by: UltraMike105
I was wondering is there any exercises I can do while not with my guitar to start building hand strength and flexibility.

One of the forum regulars (and a fine guitarist!), Superhuman had some good advice about this in a recent thread:

http://guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=229246

And right under it I offered a word of warning, which I will build on here. Over the years, I've seen lots of products and methods aimed at improving finger dexterity and strength (etc.) for guitarists. I've seen lots of people try lots of these devices, methods, etc.

By far, the best thing to do in order to improve your skill at playing the guitar is to simply play the guitar. Finger exercises, squeezing tennis balls, goofing around with those springloaded contraptions will never substitute for hours of actual playing time.

As a beginner using non-musical devices, you could benefit from some basic strength building and basic coordination and dexterity. But at a certain point you aren't actually training your hands and fingers to play guitar, but instead to squeeze a racketball. And worse, you could wind up doing damage.

Obviously, while driving (or other certain activities) it is not possible to practice guitar. But if you can take it to work, then why not?! It might be the perfect time to run scale exercises. Or any other type of guitar fingering workout that doesn't necessarily require your full attention.

But remember, there is no substitute for effective, productive hours logged on your machine of choice.

Also, in this thread I respond to issues of stretching for beginners:

http://guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28016

Hope this helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory